book trip when we arrive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quik

Reaction score
Hey, many of u suggest to book a dive trip in cairns when we arrive, rather than in advance for better deal.

I read the cost for both diving or hotels - it's higher in summer season (now), rather than the assumed peak season ( june).

Anyone been there around this time? Do the boats really have vacanies before departure?

=-) :boom: :boom:

Hiya,

You might get a better deal when you book direct when you get there ... but since it is summer season, a lot of the boats will be fully booked. It really depends how much time you have to hang around, shop around and do other things while you wait for that great offer.

Please check www.underwater.com.au for info on all the dive shops, liveaboards and day/charterboats in the area. Some of them offer big discounts for underwater.com.au club members - it's all on the site. Membership is only $35 for a year and you get a free T-Shirt or dive slate with it ... worth it even if you only book one trip at a 10% discount!

Check it out ... !

Hope that helps and ... see you underwater ...

Tim

i agree with Tim. I booked Heron Island when i arrived and for half the USA price.
I hear the best deals are around Airlie Beach from consolidators. They book all the unsold inventory for resorts & liveaboards on a last minute basis. Like Hotwire, only better.
have a great time.
mimi

I agree, you should wait to book until you get there, it was a lot cheaper, some were as much as 50% cheaper than the advertised online price. I went last June and all but 1 boat (taka) had a lot of vacancies.

As you say it's high season there now so getting places on boats is not always as easy as it easy during the winter months.
Call up a few and get an idea of what's available. Also worth checking which boats they're using. Pro Dive for instance make bookings for other boats as well

Both have their merits. Book when you get there, and you may get a cheaper trip. You may also get to wait one, two three days, a week or more getting on a boat. You might get some really crappy gear. Hey! You may even get to go to the part of the reef you want! Yay!

There are a lot of companies that will help tailor a trip both to your time and budget, and let you do it before you get there.

My wife and I booked when we got there, and that was in the middle of November. We spent three days calling over 30 companies. Not to get great deals...to find something that wasn't booked. You get what you pay for. If you're a starving college student schleping your way across Oceana, then go for the cost-cutter operators. If this might be one of the few (or only) times you ever get to go dive the reef, you should spend a little extra money to get the trip you want on the terms you want.

IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom