Looking to dive n.c. U-boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHIO DIVERS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which charters would you use to the dive following dive sites u-85, u-352 and u-701?

Check out Outer Banks Dive Center. Usually make 2 runs a week to the U-85 and runs to U-701 as conditions/interest permit. Good people, top notch operation in both service and safety! Http://www.obxdive.com

U-352 ~ Discovery Diving Company, Beaufort. Charter the diveboat Seaquest II
252-728-2265

Olympus Dive Center out of Morehead City is my fave! They were the shop that found the U-352 again and Bobby runs a great ship with a top notch crew & shop!!

Second Outer Banks Dive center for the U-85. Great folk, treated us well. Great dive as long as the weather holds...

Word of advice - don't get too hung up on visiting a particular u-boat. In some cases there are much more attractive wrecks with more life to see. Often the prime consideration is weather, current, and visibility conditions at a particular dive site. A specific u-boat site may be a poor dive one day, and great the next. All three u-boats are considered deep dives at depths ranging from 90 to 117 ft. Being in geographically disparate locations may also be a consideration if there are other wrecks you wish to see or would choose as a back up plan in case conditions are poor on the sub.

I'm heading out the 1st week in June diving with Olympus Dive Center. Looks like some awesome diving!

My LDS uses Discovery Dive Center. I am making a trip with them in July.

For the U85, Outer Banks Dive Center is about your only choice, and they do dive it very often. Just make note that there's two different operations with basically the same name, Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags Head (U85) and Outer Banks Diving in Hatteras (U701).

For the U352, any of the Dive Operators in Morehead/Beaufort would be a fine choice. The Atlantis V, in my opinion is by far the best dive boat in that area, as such most of their weekends are booked up year after year. Capt Bobby Cox (Diver Down) is another good choice and they will also give you the option to go out in "sporty" conditions that leave most of the other boats at the dock. Blessing or curse depending on your sea legs, but something to really consider if you are traveling in and have a small window of opportunity.

For the U701, I'd recommend Dive Hatteras and Capt. Dave Sommers. Located in an area known for strong to undivable currents, getting a dive in on the 701 isn't a given. Worse, if you make out to there and it's not dive-able, it is quite a long haul back around the shoals and down south to any possible fall back site. Capt. Dave is arguably the most experienced operator down there as far as the U701 is concerned, diving it years before the "numbers" got out and any charter for hire went to it. IMHO, He would be your best bet as far as getting on the wreck vs burning a lot of diesel dollars and not getting on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom