Problem: utility port is leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelscharf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

First dive in Holiday with a great Problem:
My Ikelite 6812.3 for Nikon D300 is leaking.

Housing is upgraded to the new 4 Lock Port System with the additional Utility Port on Top ( Ser. Nr. 42510).
This utility Port is leaking if i go deeper than 2 Meters ! Small drops of water rins into the housing!

My Question is:
Can i fix it in holiday ?
How can be removed for Service?
In the inside i can see a screw, but there is a Plastik Ring arround. This ring is glued to the housing. Is there a trick to remove the ring or can only be done in Service-Department.

Iklite please Help!
Thanks a lot Michael Scharf

Hi, Michael

Sorry to here about your problems but I thought I would share what I know. This utility Port has a plastic ring around it that is NOT glued to the housing but is attached with a strong double sided sticky tape. The easiest way to remove this is to get some dental floss and use it to kinda cut the tape / adhesive and remove the plastic ring. This will allow you access to the nut, attaching the utility port that contains a o-ring. My suggestion is removal, inspection, cleaning, lubrication and retesting. The black plastic ring in installed to keep the nut from turning and can be reinstalled later.

I am not suggesting that you do this and void your warranty, I am just sharing my knowledge. I have a Dr. degree from the school of hard knocks. I understand you desire to get it fixed asap.

Good luck

Michael,

I believe the utility port you are referring to is what we call a holddown mount. Based on the description of your leak, you can attempt to remove the plastic nut cover as Bill suggested. Remove, check, clean the o-ring, and then re-tighten the holddown mount. Place the old nut cover back in it's original position over the nut. The remaining sticky tape should keep it attached to the housing. Once completed, water pressure test the housing deeper than 2 meters BEFORE installing the camera.

Hopefully this field repair will correct the problem for the remainder of your trip, however the housing should be sent to Ikelite for evaluation at your earliest convenience. The Repair Department informs me that this type of field repair should not void your warranty.

Please send your housing along with a brief letter of explanation and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
attn. Repair Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.,
Indpls., In 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, e-mail, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

Last edited:
Michael,

Sorry to hear of your problem. I am very surprised since all service items are water pressure tested before leaving the factory.

I hope that Bill and Brett's advice will help to get your housing in working condition for the rest of your holiday. If necessary you can also request replacement DSLR top mount #9072.4 from your dealer in Germany when you return from your trip.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

oh snap. I hope mine won't give the same problem. I'll be leaving for my scuba trip to the Philippines on April 30. I just recently got my housing from Ikelite for that upgrade but I sent the back panel back to them since I think I saw a crack on the mode dial knob and some rusting on the port lock hinges. I don't know if the tech noticed it when they had it. oh boy. My wort nightmare would be a flooded camera 100ft down. yikes :p

Ikelite is not known to have flooding problems and most floods are caused by user error. If you are concerned about your housing seal integrity you need a Housing Sentry.

Housing Sentry overview

Hi @all,
many thanks for the given help and the quickly replays

I have stopped to fotograph in the holiday, cause i was affraid to kill the Cam.
Now i will send the housing to my german dealer for check and repair.
I think it was the better way.

For your all information the problem means not to be generell. **** can happen, but why allways to me?

Regrads
Michael

Hi!
Last year i have had the declared problem with the utility port. After holiday Ikelite fixed it for free. So long, so good.
This year after not using it for one year: next holiday, next problem !
Flash sometimes fired, sometime not. Checking the equipment showes the problem: there is corrision inside the Hot-Shoe-Connector !!
This must be a result of flooding last year, and i think Ikelite didn´t checked it last year.
And now the best:
Ikelite now gives me an advise for repair cost´s: 315 USD for changing electronic and seals, incl. preasure test.

I have Ikelite asked to check the repair advise, hope they will adjust.

I am a little astonished and asked Ike for a second advise

michaelscharf,

A representative from the Ikelite Service Department will email you later today regarding this issue.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom