Seeking advise for my first BP/W purchase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldorak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy fellow aquanauts,

I'm a novice diver with about 200 dives and decided that it's time to buy my own equipment instead of using my friends gear.
Problem is that I can't make up my mind about which BC to get, even after countless hours of searching on the internet and talking with a couple local dive shop owners. So I hope you guys will be able to help me out a bit. I understand that everyone will have a different opinion, but that's exactly what I'm looking for anyway.

I'm doubting about follow BP/W BC's:

- Halcyon Infinity + Eclipse 40lbs wing
- Poseidon BESEA BCD - W50
- Dive Rite Transpac + Voyager EXP 40lbs
- Hollis HTS 2 + S Series Single tank

My selection criteria (besides obviously being proven and safe):
1. Comfortable (I'm 190cm, 6foot2.8" tall, 110kg(242lbs))
2. Able to grow with me into technical diving
3. Good lumbar support (bad back)
4. DIR accepted
5. Price
6. Look good (why not :))

I mainly dive in water temperatures ranging from 30C(86F) - 15C(59F), with wetsuits ranging from diveskins to 3mm to 7mm.

Is there something I'm overlooking in terms of important requirements?

Thanks in advance everyone, I really hope to learn something from this thread! :wink:
Oh.. and please, pretty please be kind and don't make it a flamewar :no:

what have you dove with as a bc? what did you like/not like? do you need much weight?

May want to post in the DIR section. I use a DiveRite SS TransPlate with a #40 Oxycheq Mach V Extreme. There are many options for you. I just do not know about DIR.

A waist belt that takes the weight off of the shoulders. I have a lumbar pad. It is comfortable, but not necessary.

what have you dove with as a bc? what did you like/not like? do you need much weight?
So far mainly jacket style BCDs, resort rentals or loaners... Scubapro, Oceanic etc. They were acceptable while I was steadily advancing my skills, but now that I want to advance further and buy my own gear I rather spend a bit more on something decent which I'll be able to use for a while.
i reckon I use an average amount of weight for my size, 3mm wetsuit around 5kg, 7mm around 8kg

Forget the Poseidon, if you want to develop into tec and wish to be DIR consistent.

Can't go wrong with the Halcyon. Not sure about the need for a cinch harness initially, but if you will be changing your exposure protection regularly, then it might make sense. Transpac, comfort and deluxe style harnesses aren't generally considered to be 'DIR'. The Halcyon cinch differs from these by offering a clever solution that is still 'unbroken'/continuous.

Otherwise, any combo of compatible backplate, appropriately sized wing and minimalist harness will do perfectly.

Don't fall into the assumption that a metal backplate will be uncomfortable - they aren't, despite appearances. The only reason for adding extra padding to a backplate and harness would be if you had to undertake frequent, long-distance walks wearing your dive kit.

BP&W with hog harness is virtually infinitely adjustable. If varying size backplates are available, obviously opt for a large one.

IMHO, 'good' brands are Halcyon, Oxycheq and DSS. Can't go wrong with their stuff.

Not sure why you've decided on 40# of lift, I think 30# would be fine for you... I have both 30# and 40# singles wings and the 30 is plenty for me when properly weighted - I can use it with a 7mm & steel tank or swim trunks and an alloy tank. There's a wing lift calculator on the board if you do a search.

The Infinity is defintely DIR-compliant and will grow into technical/doubles diving, not sure about the other three as I have no experience with them, so I'll just talk about Halcyon now:

Unless you're going to be changing exposure suits regularly (eg from 0mm or 3mm to 7mm or drysuit) then I would consider the Eclipse rather than the Infinity (only difference is the cinch harness which you pay USD110 extra for)

A stainless backplate would take some weight off your belt (or allow you to dive without a weightbelt in a 3mm), although perhaps with your bad back reducing the weight of your rig is more important in which case you could consider an alloy BP

If you do decide to go with Halcyon, you'll find Halcyon Buoyancy Compensators | Wreck Diver Supply hard to beat on price, with the current AUD-USD exchange rate and free worldwide shipping; much cheaper than buying one in Australia

I'm not familiar with any of the rigs you mentioned except the Halcyon, so I won't comment on them specifically. But a couple of notes on your criteria that might help people to help you.
My selection criteria (besides obviously being proven and safe):

3. Good lumbar support (bad back)
4. DIR accepted

In #3 you mention "good lumbar support, " but then I don't see you mention shore diving. Are you planning to hike in to dive sites or to do shore diving where you might walk around a lot with your gear on? I ask because in the water and actually diving, I don't see "lumbar support" as being very helpful (and I am one who insists on it on land, whether it be in a chair, the seat in my car, or whatever). Maybe you are going to be needing that "land fit," but I can't tell from your post.

In #4 you mention DIR accepted, yet it doesn't look as though the majority of the rigs you listed would be. Is that a hard and fast criteria? Or did you throw it in more like "well it wouldn't hurt." I think if it is a solid criteria for you then you would want to be considering a different selection of rigs.

Blue Sparkle

First of all thanks everyone for your responses.

So far I'm amazed about the positive responses regarding the Halcyon... it was my first choice, but I didn't expect this after doing a lot of reading up on it on scubaboard and finding many posts stating that it's either too expensive, not pure tech enough because it also caters for rec diving, bad surface buoyancy etc.

To answer your questions:
Blue Sparkle:
- Why lumbar support: First of all because of my bad back, but I indeed forgot to mention that I do a lot of shore dives close to where I live. So I will be walking some distances with my gear.
- DIR importance: not my main requirement, but nice to know if it is
Tortuga68:
- 40# or 30# of lift: Good point, I think I will have to test it first once I've decided which rig. I assumed that because I'm a bit taller and heavier a 40# would be better.
- Eclipse or Infinity: I prefer to pay a bit more for the added comfort
- Thanks for that link to Wreck Diver Supply! That's an amazing price compared to here in Australia... and with the high Aussie dollar atm.
DevonDiver:
- DIR: Thanks for pointing out that the Transpac & the Poseidon aren't DIR, no one was able to confirm that for me.
- Backplate vs padding comfort... yep indeed for the long walks

So taking the responses into account in comparison with my criteria, my tally is:

- Halcyon Infinity + Eclipse 40# or 30# wing +(1) +(2) +(4)
- Poseidon BESEA BCD - W50 -(2) -(4)
- Dive Rite Transpac + Voyager EXP 40# +(1) +(3) -(4)
- Hollis HTS 2 + S Series Single tank (no responses)

To those who are diving with the Halcyon Infinity:
- Does it have good noticeable lumbar support?

(Disclaimer: This is not a post claiming that one rig/brand is a better than the other, just an overview of my personal criteria in comparison with responses. :wink: )

DevonDiver:
- DIR: Thanks for pointing out that the Transpac & the Poseidon aren't DIR, no one was able to confirm that for me.

Once you shortlist, it'd be best to ask specific DIR compatibility questions on the DIR forum here. I'm certainly not qualified to give a definitive answer on DIR :wink:

just because they aren't DIR doesn't mean they are bad though. Don't get that in your head. If you have a bad back and are going to be shore diving you more than likely won't want a true DIR rig. They don't allow padded backpads and the one piece harnesses tend to cut off circulation to big guys arms... Speaking from experience.
The Transpac was designed for divers like you diving the type of diving you are doing. Obviously each of us are biased towards our personal rigs, otherwise we wouldn't use them. A lot of the support involves your exposure protection and how well the steel plate fits the contours of your back. The transpac's mould to your back which I like since I dive a lot without exposure protection and tend to have to carry gear around a lot with OWT dives... First one in last one out, but have to be ready and up before they are.
Try as much as you can, and realize that those of us that aren't DIR still dive about 98% of the way they do, because it's the better way to do things. Most of our differences are in gear configuration. Unless you're taking DIR courses specifically then it's only personal preference, and that can't be established until you try more rigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom