Fins and Mask for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterSail

Happy in Doubles
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All-knowing Scuba Sages!

I am a newbie still using rental equipment. I want to start buying my own equipment so that I can concentrate on learning using one consistant set-up. Also, the rental equipment I have used has me a little concerned for my safety.

I want to learn correctly so I don't need to break bad habits. Before the year is out, I will be taking a Primer course I hope. I want to make sure that any equipment I buy now will be acceptable for this course and maybe future Fundies.

I am quite clear on the BP/W and that a regulator needs a long hose.

Are there any special requirements for fins and mask, except for no split fins?

I was looking at the website for Force Fin, and it has been highly spoken of on SB, but would Force Fin Pro be acceptable to GUE? Not sure if I want to pay that price anyhow, with so many things to buy, but it does look nice!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
they're expensive... Dunno about DIR compatible as I'm not DIR.
BUT! for fins, the old school all black heavy things are the way to go.
Scubapro Jet Fins
Hollis F1 Bat Fins
OMS Slipstreams
Those seem to be the choice. I'm sure there are more, spring straps are generally considered mandatory though.

As far as mask, I think any low volume black skirted mask will work. Doesn't have to be expensive, also doesn't have to be Halcyon.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
there's a general rundown

add XS Scuba Turtles to the previous list

and holy @#$%@#$% force fins are expensive.... and no, not acceptable.

Ditto the previous comments on fins (get some old skool ones...try Jets first and see if they'll fit you because they're heavy which gives you leverage and they're super cheap on eBay...then fit them with spring straps) and mask (black skirt, low volume). But also I want to add a suggestion to talk to your Primer instructor with a lot of these questions. You'll learn a lot in the process.

From the GUE website equipment article:

Stiff blade fins are popular among divers who need to swim quickly, move against strong currents, or push large amounts of equipment through water. Less rigid fins will work when pushing less equipment or when less power is desired. The best practice for divers is to use the same gear all the time. Divers should remove all plastic buckles from their new fins and substitute for them stronger attachment springs.

I have never used Force Fins, so I do not know how well they work for the whole spectrum of precision kicks that GUE teaches. I would worry a bit that the curved blade surface would interfere with the efficient of frog-type kicks (frog, helicopter, back) but I don't know if that is actually true. The fins are not line traps, and I assume you can equip them with some kind of spring strap. My guess is that the money would be better spent on something else in your kit, though, and depending on the GUE instructor with whom you are working, the Force Fins might get vetoed on general principles :)

Best idea with any unusual gear choice is to run it by your instructor, before you pay a lot of money for something and get told you can't use it, or simply get hassled constantly for having it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was wondering though, what is the advantage of Black? Or is it that there is not an advantage to fancy colors and the the basic styles are the best?

For a mask I would have thought that clear would be best to let in more light and peripheral vision. No?

What does "low volume" mean for a mask? They mostly look about the same to me!

I agree about getting advice from the instructor, but I haven't registered yet. I wrote an email to the instructor for the course that I am thinking of registering from the GUE website, and he has not yet answered it.

i've found clear mask skirts don't do much for your peripheral vision.

other people have commented that black mask skirts are better for eliminating glare, but i haven't noticed a difference.

From the GUE website equipment article:

I have never used Force Fins, so I do not know how well they work for the whole spectrum of precision kicks that GUE teaches. I would worry a bit that the curved blade surface would interfere with the efficient of frog-type kicks (frog, helicopter, back) but I don't know if that is actually true. The fins are not line traps, and I assume you can equip them with some kind of spring strap. My guess is that the money would be better spent on something else in your kit, though, and depending on the GUE instructor with whom you are working, the Force Fins might get vetoed on general principles :)

I have dived with someone that used force fins and IMO they are not really suitable pretty much for the reasons you listed, as well as I think not very good for back-kick.

I think that person subsequently switched to jets.

You can't go wrong with the Hollis F-1's. You can find them on sale for cheap. They come with spring straps.

I know I could look this up, but since it might be of interest to the thread: Is a black skirted mask a GUE requirement (as is mentioned ^^)? Or is it a recommendation?

I have some of each, so not trying to justify because I only have clear ones or anything. And I do understand some of the advantages of the black skirt; I'm just interested since it came up :)

Thanks,
Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom