Help Needed to choose the port for 14-24 mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polardiverbj

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the process of selecting a port for my 14-24 mm wide-angle lens on Subal ND3 with Nikon D3X. Someone suggests that Subal DP230 (9") is the best choice but someone else insists on that 14-24 mm does not work with anything else but the Super-Dome (10"). I would like to hear from those who have experience with these ports. Thanks!

I have tried to use the 14-24mm on my D3 and am not satisfied with the corners. I don't know how it performs with 10" Super-dome, but I have tried the lens with Aquatica's 9.25" megadome and still have issues with corner sharpness with focal lengths shorter than 18mm, and I would suspect the 10" dome would not be significantly better. The problem with the 14-24mm is that you cannot easily add a diopter to the front of the lens to help correct for sharpness. It is disappointing since I really love the 14-24mm lens out of the water, but for wide angle shooting I use the sigma 15mm fisheye.

You all need to document which spacer you used with which dome.
Positioning the dome so the entrance pupil of the lens matches
the center of curvature of the dome is critical. And I suspect that
some zooms will move the entrance pupil as you zoom. And some
(most? almost all?) will move the entrance pupil as you focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom