D/R STA Will Not Fit My Venture Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock2r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new D/R STA that is 15" long. The bolt pattern fits my S/S Plate just fine, however, I can NOT get the STA to fit "in to" the harness area of my Venture wing which is 14" long. The wing is the older model 30lb Venture wing that does have 4ea. bolt grommets in the vertical strap. Both the STA and Wing are brand new.

I was fortunate to be able to speak with the Dive Rite rep at the Dive/Travel Expo at the Tacoma, WA Convention Center yesterday. He said I need to stretch the wing. Tried that but it's not even close to fitting in there. I am concerned that the STA top and bottom edges will puncture the wing the way it is assembled now-which is basically laying on top of the back side of the wing and just waiting to pinch the bladder.

What am I doing wrong or is that wing just not compatible with the STA? I really don't want to have to get a metal saw involved!

On another note the D/R rep was very helpful in giving me the corrrect Transplate Harness fit adjustment tips-as opposed to the somewhat lacking adjustment instructions that ship with those units. The on line video for the Transplate appears outdated as well because the side plates it came with are not what are pictured on the video.

Help with the STA vs Venture question please!

Hi Rock2R,

I'm not familiar with this being an issue. I believe that once the wing is inflated in water the STA is at the tank and the wing stands away from the STA. If you are trying to fit the STA inside the inner portion of the wing on land, it's not intended to do that.
Are you having any issues while diving?

Thanks for clarifying or send pics,
Kathleen

I know exactly the problem that you are referring to, the STA is too long for that wing.
The STA should be cut, I'll post a picture of one when I get home.

-Mitch

I have a new D/R STA that is 15" long. The bolt pattern fits my S/S Plate just fine, however, I can NOT get the STA to fit "in to" the harness area of my Venture wing which is 14" long. The wing is the older model 30lb Venture wing that does have 4ea. bolt grommets in the vertical strap. Both the STA and Wing are brand new.

I was fortunate to be able to speak with the Dive Rite rep at the Dive/Travel Expo at the Tacoma, WA Convention Center yesterday. He said I need to stretch the wing. Tried that but it's not even close to fitting in there. I am concerned that the STA top and bottom edges will puncture the wing the way it is assembled now-which is basically laying on top of the back side of the wing and just waiting to pinch the bladder.

What am I doing wrong or is that wing just not compatible with the STA? I really don't want to have to get a metal saw involved!

On another note the D/R rep was very helpful in giving me the corrrect Transplate Harness fit adjustment tips-as opposed to the somewhat lacking adjustment instructions that ship with those units. The on line video for the Transplate appears outdated as well because the side plates it came with are not what are pictured on the video.

Help with the STA vs Venture question please!

Here's a picture for now, I will post another pic later.
You can sort of see how it was cut in this picture.

-Mitch

Attachments

• Dive%20Rite%20Venture%20wing.jpg
    Dive%20Rite%20Venture%20wing.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 164
Kathleen,

Pullmyfinger (PMF) was kind enough to post a pic of his set up which is exactly what I am attempting to do with mine. If you look at his picture enlarged you will see that his STA fits "in" the opening of the "donut" apparently after he cut his STA (guessing 1/2" off the top and bottom to gain a total of 1"). At 15" long, mine is too encroaching on the actual wing and looks like it could puncture it. I understand that the tank may prevent this but "may" is not good enough when I'm at the bottom of the ocean.

I have not dove with this set up yet because of this issue.

Are PMF and I doing something incorrectly with our build approach? For comparison, what is the "inside" dimension of the donut on a travel EXP wing when measured vertically?

I don't believe that a new STA should have to be field modified by the customer in order to fit a product from the same mfg that it is specifcally designed to fit on.

Pullmyfinger,

Thanks a bunch for the picture! Looks exactly like what I am trying to accomplish.

No problem,

I'll take a picture of just the STA for more clarity.
You are correct, it will pinch the wing if it's not cut. You'll need a bandsaw to do the cutting>

-Mitch

Here are the pictures of the STA's.

The middle one is the normal length, the ones on either side are the modified ones that I made.

Yours will have to be cut similarly in order to work with the Venture wing.

These are STA's that I made. I cut the upper slots to be lower than the top mounting hole. This way the top cam band will be lower that the top curve on the scuba tank.

This allows for more adjustability up or down.......this is a great idea that I got from "Nemrod", another Scuba Board member.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

-Mitch

I guess it would be more useful with pictures actually posted to the response.:blush:

-Mitch

Attachments

• STA's.jpg
    STA's.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 133
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom