Memorial Day Weekend in Keys - crowds/traffic/etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to be in the Upper Keys diving Friday. Saturday, Sunday, Monday of Memorial Day Weekend.

What should I expect in terms of crowds? Would boats actually be "sold out"?

Traffic bad going both ways into the keys or just southbound?

Hopefully this is not a "weekend to avoid"!

It is a madhouse

Its bad... but if you stay in the upper keys it wont be that bad. That Monday coming north from key west is a nightmare.

I would book dives in advance.. have never been on holiday weekend but would think it to be good to have them booked... We always book in advance where ever we go..
have fun

Prepare for traffic driving down too, though Thursday won't be as bad as Friday and it sounds as if you might be arriving Thursday night since you are diving on Friday. As another post indicated, book your dive trips early and don't wait until you arrive: some boats will fill up.

Most Holiday weekends can be really busy in the keys: are they weekends to avoid??? Not if that is the only time you have off of work and you want to get some dives in. Just be patient (at restaurants and similar places) & you'll still have a fun time. Realize that you'll have longer wait times than normal just about everywhere, you might have to wait through a few red lights before clearing an intersection, you might get held up as people cross the street to get to a picnic site or to a memorial day service and the vibe of the keys might not feel quite as laid back as normal. Just roll with it and enjoy the diving

Memorial Day weekends are usually very busy as that starts the diving season here in the Keys. Most people are amazed at that, but it's been my experience for the last 8 years.

Having said that yes it will be busy and the boats usually fill up on and around that weekend, if the weather is good. If you know you're coming and want to dive then I'd recommend you make your reservation with the operator you want to dive with now. Most operators allow the first customer that books to choose the site they want to dive. There are a few that have preset schedules and I'm sure they list them on their website.

As for traffic it will be heavy on the stretch in and out of Key Largo and start backing up right outside of Islamorada where the 4 lane reduces to a 2 lane. Also there has been a lot of construction with the new sewer system being put in at Tavernier and Key Largo, so if they don't finish installing by Memorial Day weekend just expect some traffic backups. It does look like they have finished with the road in Tavernier and have just repaved it, so hopefully that stretch of road will flow smoothly.

When leaving the Keys if the traffic is backed up going over Jew Fish Creek bridge then head down Card Sound Road. it's a little longer ride but if the traffic is backed up on the stretch then it's well worth the dollar you have to pay on the toll bridge. For those that don't know Card Sound Road dumps you out at Florida City.

Hope you have a great time and if I can answer questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. And that offer even goes if you don't dive with me.:cool2:

Good Diving,

And one more thing that hasn't been mentioned. KEEP IT AT THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!!!! The cops down there are just all over it! Don't allow them to snag your hard earned dollars that you had planned on diving with.

all great advice from the previous posts. shouldn't be any issues drivng south thursday evening or friday morning. consider leaving monday evening or early tuesday morning to avoid the crush of departures. and yes, book your diving in advance and consider making reservations for dining @ nite at your favorite restaurants which accept them(lazy days, island grill, fishhouse encore etc),,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Ditto...what they said.
To recap:
1-Book your dives in advance. As an example, GCD already has 4 full 1/2 day charters that 3-day weekend and filling the rest of the trips quickly.
2-Book your hotel in advance. Holiday rates, cancellation policies, and minimum stays will be enforced.
3-Be mindful of speed limits as LEOs will be out in full force.
4-Make restaurant reservations early in the day. Some of the popular eateries may have waits of an hour+.

The water is warm, the reefs and wrecks are always stunning. Come on down and have a good time.

Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance. Please stop by to say hi :wavey: while you are in town.

Last edited:
Just to pile it on higher and Deeper (Phd), The Florida east coast weather from Memorial day thru the end of June is the best kept secret down here. It is consistently flat with almost no breeze and very very clear water. I've seen years when you can dive every single day in June and not be blown out. No other month of the calendar year can provide that.

Have a blast in the Keys!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom