Dive Buddy for April 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reallydg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a dive buddy to do a charter in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area. I have to be in Orlando for work but scheduled a day of diving before hand. Anyone free to go diving that day?

I am not sure what that date holds for me yet. One thing to keep in mind with many of the Jupiter and Palm Beach Dive ops: you don't really need a buddy since there is an in-water DM and you just need to stay close to the DM. I seldom have a buddy arranged when I go out with Jupiter Dive Center or the Scuba Club. Walkers, Narcosis and Jim Abernathy also send DM's down with the divers: it just happens that I've always had a prearranged buddy when I have been out with those ops, but would have no issue jumping in without a prearranged buddy.

So.... the point of this post is to let you know that if you can't prearrange a buddy, don't cancel your dive plans, you can probably still dive if you make it a point to stay near the in -water DM or just hook up with a buddy on the boat.

Last edited:
I second the above opinion , Many of us dive with-out a buddy planned & when we get on the boat you can always buddy up with some-one or just hang with the DM .
:cheers:

Thanks! As long as I can "just hang" with the DM I'm cool. Don't mind the "insta-buddy" thing other than gas planning- when their diving 100's and I'm on an 80 it makes the dives a little "unequal." (Last time I just went up by myself.) Anyway, I think I'll book with JDC. Read a lot of good things about them.

Sorry I can't do the weekend. I fly in Sunday AM and Tues-Friday is work, back home Friday night.)

If you ever decide you want to dive the balmy waters of Lake Michigan, let me know!

Thanks! As long as I can "just hang" with the DM I'm cool. Don't mind the "insta-buddy" thing other than gas planning- when their diving 100's and I'm on an 80 it makes the dives a little "unequal." (Last time I just went up by myself.) Anyway, I think I'll book with JDC. Read a lot of good things about them.

Sorry I can't do the weekend. I fly in Sunday AM and Tues-Friday is work, back home Friday night.)

If you ever decide you want to dive the balmy waters of Lake Michigan, let me know!

What sort of diving do you do in lake Michigan (I know its mostly wreck diving but what sort of profile are you typically diving).

I've been to South Haven MI and the beaches near Chicago many times and the surface water temps can be pretty pleasant in the late summer, but I bet the lake has a nasty theromcline 30 feet down or so. I had also heard that in the middle of the summer it was possible to wear a thick wetsuit in Lake Huron on some of the shallower sites (less than 60 feet). I am betting that is not true of Lake MI.

On my bucket list is doing some dives in either lake when I am back up north visiting family and friends so was just curious on the types of diving.

Around Chicago (where I'm at) it's pretty much just wreck diving. You'd see nothing but sand on a shore dive.

Wrecks are mostly in the 40-80 foot range with temps in summer ranging from low 50's in the shallower ones to low 40's in the deeper. You CAN do it in a wet suit, but as I tell people who are wondering about it, most of us who have dry suits also have wet suits. There's a reason we didn't take them.

The FIRST dive in a wet suit in 40's or even high 30's isn't so bad. It's the second one that gets you.

I should clarify that...there are wrecks that go as deep as you want and more, if you're in to technical diving. It just most of the wrecks that I dive end up around 60-80. Some deeper. Some shallower. Just clarifying before I get jumped on. :D

I should clarify that...there are wrecks that go as deep as you want and more, if you're in to technical diving. It just most of the wrecks that I dive end up around 60-80. Some deeper. Some shallower. Just clarifying before I get jumped on. :D

Thanks for the responses: I was wondering more about the wetsuit and temperature thing..... sounds pretty much like dry suit diving to me!!!

I talked to a guy about his 500 ft dives on some of the wrecks in the Great Lakes on another board (a motorcycle board of all things, but his screen name was 500ft Tech Diver or something similar so that got us chatting via PM's) so I did know about the non-recreational diving. I was more curious about what sort of dives recreational divers did in Lake MI.

Reallydg,
We will be doing something Monday A.M. But Boynton Beach would be our choice,

Sportxlh;
many sweet wood wrecks ply the water of lake Michigan=No wood worms here! we have schooners in our back yard about 130' to the lake bed that look like you could float them and sail them off! And its been done till time catches up with them as they are exposed to the surface air.
Wet suit diving can be done but as you said after 30' down the temperature stays in the low 40's year round.dry suit diving is the norm with extended range dives and just for comfort and extending the dive season.
One thing with the introduction of the zebra muscle a salt water invasive species those buggers have filtered and cleaned up & visibility on some sites can be 70' + all for the good or bad because it happens the muscles cover the wrecks in shells and it allows sunlight to get down deeper allowing algae blooms of freakish amounts so bad things too!

500' nuts!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom