Anyone know anything about DARPA's PowerSwim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REVAN

Contributor
Reaction score
A few years ago I remember a bunch of chatter about DARPA developing (or redeveloping) a device called PowerSwim that was based on the old Aqueon concept. It was supposed to be a kind of foil-based human powered DPV replacement for combat swimmers. There was all this talk about how great it was and they were going to rush it into production, but now I can't find any information on it that is less than 3 years old. I have sent DARPA a request to find out what happened to it, but have not heard anything back yet.

Does anyone out there know anything about what happened to PowerSwim?

Is any one else interested in lightweight PowerSwim style DPV alternatives to the heavy battery powered workhorses of industry standards?

:idk:

a bit of info on Lunocet Monofin and PowerSwim here MONOFIN My guess is PowerSwim either worked so well that they made it secret, or it didn't work out so they lost interest. The Lunocet Monofin sounds interesting... a bit price-riskey however for something that's not main-stream and proven.

Thanks for the reply scraphound. I never did get a response form DARPA. The project appears to be closed and there is no longer a contact person listed to get any information. It seems to be all gone; vanished without a trace.

Interesting competition for DARPA's PowerSwim here: James Bond Would Love this X-15 SCUBA Ready Monofin - YouTube

My impression: From this video, the DOL-Fin X-15 monofin system appears to function far superior to the videos I have seen of PowerSwim. In addition to appearing to be faster (from which we can assume it is also more efficient), the X-15 looks to be more compact, a lot more maneuverable and more practical to use.

What do you think?

FYI - The DARPA video for their PowerSwim device is here: PowerSwim by Jay Lowell, DSO Program Manager - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom