NAUI MAX Depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yerba Mate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm PADI Rescue certified,so I know what PADI's standards are regarding depth, but I was wondering what NAUI's standards are.

I was talking to someone I know who was certified with NAUI in 1978 (Basic NAUI Cert). He asked me how deep I've gone and I said 100ft, but that PADI's max No-Deco limit is 130ft. He said I've gone to 160ft no-Deco. I thought ok maybe 140ft could be done without deco, but everything I've read says that 160ft is decompression of some sort, and personally I would not subject myself to that sort of diving unless I had the right training and equipment. I would not think that 160ft would be "Recreational" Diving in any agency.

I looked at NAUI's certifications online, and it seemed to be that their max is 130ft. So I was wondering if anyone knew what NAUI's current max No-Deco limit is? and What the No-Deco limit was for NAUI in the 70's?

It's 130, same as PADI. It was 140 years ago (I don't know how many).

chickdiver once bubbled...
It's 130, same as PADI. It was 140 years ago (I don't know how many).
Now that's a wickedly cool image you have with your name .,.. sweet

The "No-Deco limit" is not a depth, it is a time for a particular depth. You are looking for the maximum recommended depth. Most agencies have set 130 ft at their maximum recommended depth, some have set 100 ft.

The deepest the US Navy tables allows without incurring some staged decompression obligations is (this is from memory, so I could be off a tad) about 190 ft. I don't know of anyone who recommemds diving to that depth.

old navy table, Walters memory is correct. 190 feet for 5 minutes before there is a deco obligation. 190 feet for 10 minutes and there is a total of four minutes of deco.

Walter's not picky:) He just likes accuracy in terminology.

Walter is correct. According to the US Navy Air Tables, the maximum depth is 190ft. for 5mins, without having to conduct some sort of staged decompression. Now some food for thought as I think it would be relavent to the thread and maybe take it in another positive direction.

1. Are all dives that you do regardless of time, depth and decompression obligation, not recreational? Aren't we there to have fun?

2. Are you not decompressing in some form on every dive? Wether it be staged decompression or just a slow accent in OW with a safety stop.

IMHO, I think that the terms "recreational diving" and "decompression" are not used as they should be in this sport. I think that everyone should have a firm grasp on these two terms and what they really mean to you and your diving. Call me crazy, but that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?

Discuss amongst yourselves.:D

Ok, I know my terminology was a little off, I was basically just trying to get my point across and ask a question. I kinda figured if I used units "ft", people would know I was talking about depth not time. I got the response I desired from everyone, so thanks.

What I should have said, is there a no-decompression limit for a deeper depth than 160 ft, etc, on NAUI's tables back in the 70's?

I found various tables here, and the navy table does show a no-decompression limit of 5 minutes at 190ft. Sounds pretty crazy to me. I also saw a NAUI air table there. So what I have deduced from that is way back when, NAUI used the US NAVY air table, but since NAUI has switched to their own table which is more conservative.

These questions were merely for interest, I personally will not follow any other table than PADI's RDP, since that is what I was trained with.

just a curiosity question for you. I'm asking this since it came up yesterday during a refresher course I'm conducting.

You have the PADI RDP. The person you are buddied with has the NAUI air table. What will you do?

Heres the situation we came across using both tables.

Dive # 1 was to 60 feet for I believe 50 minutes. After the surface interval the plan was to do a dive to 50 for 50 minutes. My question to the students was can we even do this dive according to the tables. At the moment I don't recall the surface interval but if I can find it I'll input that info.

As it turned out according to both tables the planned 2nd dive was beyond adjusted maximums. What was quite striking though was what the adjusted maximums for each table was.

The PADI table allowed a 41 minute dive and the NAUI table allowed a 14 minute dive.

That sounds like a 35 to 39 minute surface interval (PADI pressure group of U from first dive giving group L after SI).

An "L" diver has a 41 minute NDL at 50ft.

Can someone give the NAUI NDL for:

60ft/50min
35 to 39 min SI
Dive to 50ft

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom