Very pleased with SEI OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glen99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My daughter and I just completed my SEI Open Water certification with a local instructor in SW Ohio with open water dives in FL with the same instructor (Devil's Den, Crystal River and Rainbow River).

I believe we had 6 pool sessions of 1.5-2 hours with equal classroom time. The training was thorough and the instructor related well with the kids (13 and up) and adults. From what I have read on the board, this training pushes students more than some other options inculding the use of a form of "bailout". Some people have questioned using bailout in an open water course, but for me it was a very valuable experience. It showed me what panic can feel like underwater, and I would rather have my first panic experience at 10' with an instructor and 2 dive masters in a pool than at 50' in open water. I did not complete the task on my first attempt, but tried again the next week and completed it calmly and with no trouble. I feel that this training has been a great introduction to diving. We felt well prepared for our checkout dives and my daughter and I look forward to continuing with our training this Summer by working on our AOW.

Many thanks to Tim at TJ Sportdivers who is a great teacher and enthusiast.

Can't wait to get our cards in the mail :D

glen

Welcome to SB and to the ranks of SEI trained divers. Now keep diving in some of those lakes and quarries local to you as the weather begins to warm up. Check out the Ohio Council of Skin and Scuba Diving Inc. website. Ohio is incredibly active with clubs and local diving opportunities. I live in PA but am a member of the council. And congrats to your instructor for portraying SEI Diving in such a positive manner. I don't know Tim personally but am not surprised at your level of enthusiasm for him and for diving. That's what keeps divers in the water along with feeling the confidence and security that comes from comprehensive skills and education based training.

Glad you enjoyed the training. Tim Patton is a great instructor and an asset to the diving profession. We changed the name of "bailout" years ago to "surface entry and don equipment" because it isn't like the military bailout but, as you mentioned, a confidence building skill that can even be done in progression. It is commonly stated in the diving industry (by non SEI Diving instructors) that it isn't the agency, it is the instructor that matters. I agree that a good instructor is essential but I also think that a tool box that is missing essential tools will create an unfinished product. SEI Diving is like some of the European agencies in that we provide our leadership and students with the full tool box and the time in classroom and pool to get the training they need. Hope to dive with you and your family Glen! Welcome to our family!

Thanks for the insight DMarelli. The best compliment I can give SEI and Tim is that I am comfortable taking my 13 year old daughter 50' underwater and know that she is able to understand the responsibility. In fact, she is definately the stronger member of our buddy team!

glen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom