Fewer new divers, aging diver demographics, what to do about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This effects us all and folks in the future as well directly or otherwise. The attractions although changing in some ways are still there as they were decades back by my estimation. We need people to be aware of the oceans, really from the top down. Allowing kids to op out is one option but not a particularly good one. We were dying to get into diving in our time, couldn't hold us back. Something has changed, likely perception and accenting of other pursuits. Still, I don't think we can afford to have youth ignore the undersea and the access diving permits for pleasure and work.

The Drop Zone project was developed to use some cross branding between surfing and diving in an ideal venue. Surfing demographics are exploding particularly at the young end and there can be a complimentary coexistence between surfing and diving conditions in many venues. They started in Tahiti and are about to release a project from Fiji. More about the program for dive shops at: Drop Zone : Dive In There are some cliches in the film, like shark fixation but also some marvelous videography and editing in compelling venues. You can see a full write up and trailer for the Tahiti project at:

The Drop Zone Tahiti - Surfing and Diving Cultures Converge in Paradise - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

The west coast premier of the Fiji project is this Friday in San Diego. It is just one idea for improving diver demographics but one we should take a look at and perhaps support along with other effective efforts out there to do the same.

145-DROPZONEtop_0.jpg

Do about it? What exactly is the problem and what is your ultimate goal? I suppose the industry could start redesigning wetsuits to fit the more portly physique :wink: In a world of fast paced, computerized, instant gratification, scuba diving may be a little too laid back for the younger crowd. OMG, the video games and sports my grandkids are involved in are well beyond my ability to keep up, but I can still dive. With HD and HD 3D movies and televisions what can a kid see under water that they can't see better on the screen? (rhetorical question.) IMO, promote the adventure and the challenge.

"aging diver demographics, what to do about it?"

This is a trick question..............right?

Last edited:
Simple...
Lower taxes, shrink government, more freedom!
:)
Rick

I'm more concerned ( and I mean really upset) with the declining deomographic of philatelists and apiarists.

I'm more concerned ( and I mean really upset) with the declining deomographic of philatelists and apiarists.

Well the decline in the number of philatelists is understandable. Less snail mail (plus the increased use in metered postage) means less stamps to collect. Ergo, fewer philatelists.

As for apiarists, bees piss me off, and I don't use honey.......:wink:

Could always market diving as geriatric friendly. Maybe talk to the big agencies and pitch a "walker/cane" specialty.

Bet there would be a huge spike in P-Valve sales......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom