BP/W and Weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was semi-joking, with reference to the weight belt under/over harness debates

It's kinda hard to imagine a tiny little pool toy pulling a diver along at 5.25 kmph too, but it still seems to be a topic of discussion for some...

Weight harnesses are routinely used with BP&W.

Not my personal preference, but not uncommon.

Tobin

If not weight harness, how do you manage (comfortably) the amount of weight in cold water dry suit diving? I asked because I started to dive dry suit last year, I still need 20lb+ on my waist belt after SS bp + STA. It starts to get unforcomtable. What is a better solution?

If not weight harness, how do you manage (comfortably) the amount of weight in cold water dry suit diving? I asked because I started to dive dry suit last year, I still need 20lb+ on my waist belt after SS bp + STA. It starts to get unforcomtable. What is a better solution?

Ideally you'll have a few places to put weight so you can move it around and make being in proper trim easier. Some possibilities:
-Heavy backplate (like a stainless steel plate from a variety of manufacturers)
-Bolt-on plates (like the nifty DSS options)
-Weight belt
-In a pinch, you can thread a 2-3lb hard weight on your waist belt

For single tanks:
-STA (especially a secondarily-weighted STA like the Halycon)
-Weight pockets on the cam bands. This is my favorite option, as the pockets weigh virtually nothing for traveling and accept standard hard or soft weights.

For double tanks:
-V-weight
-Channel weight
-Tail weight pouch

To add to gsk3's excellent advice:

Steel tanks in lieu of al also help, usually by about 6 lbs.

Keep in mind that moving ballast from your person (weight belt) to your rig does not change your total weighting, but it does increase how negative your rig will be if you have to ditch it.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom