SMB Deployment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm practicing SMB deployment and have the actual deployment worked out as well as how to attach the bolt snap to the reel so it will not open - Can you point me to a video which shows how to move up the line?

Thank you,
Dwayne

The videos I've seen just show the launch part, but basically you move up as a team and keep the line reasonably taut by winding it around the spool. You can use a boltsnap as a virtual winch (put the line through the gate of the boltsnap, hold the reel steady in one hand, and wind around it with the boltsnapped hand), although I just read a GUE memo indicating that this trick should only be used for short periods of time and longer ascents winding without the boltsnap is preferred...if you care.

I just read a GUE memo indicating that this trick should only be used for short periods of time and longer ascents winding without the boltsnap is preferred...if you care.

Is the recommendation to again clip off the bolt snap to the chest D ring and wind, or leave the bolt snap on the line and wind the spool by hand?

Thanks!
Dwayne

For longer segments of line winding, "divers are advised to secure the clip to their D‐ring, winding the excess line on to the spool by hand."

Is the recommendation to again clip off the bolt snap to the chest D ring and wind, or leave the bolt snap on the line and wind the spool by hand?

Thanks!
Dwayne

Just try it both ways. There's no "standard". I have never liked the bolt snap as winch technique. I clip the double ender off and wind with my hand. For a short stop I'll just hold the spool. For a longer stop I will remove the double ender and clip the spool off.

If there are strong currents I won't wind at all. You'll see once you encounter this situation. The bag + line has alot drag and can get pulled from your hand by wind or cross-currents. If it were the actual spool ripped from your hand you are screwed. If its just the line with the spool 10+ft below - you have a few seconds+ to re-grab the line before the spool rises in the water column and drifts past you.

Remind me why I can't use my Manta reel for open ocean diving. Hooked-off on rear d-ring and always within my slip-stream...:idk:

Remind me why I can't use my Manta reel for open ocean diving. Hooked-off on rear d-ring and always within my slip-stream...:idk:

There are no SCUBA police. There's nothing to remind, because you can use your reel all you like.

I find, however, that spools are more convenient in most circumstances when they can be used, and arguably safer when launching a buoy from depth (no risk of getting jerked up if the reel jams). Others seem to practice similarly.

There are no SCUBA police. There's nothing to remind, because you can use your reel all you like.

I find, however, that spools are more convenient in most circumstances when they can be used, and arguably safer when launching a buoy from depth (no risk of getting jerked up if the reel jams). Others seem to practice similarly.

Good point. There is no chance of getting jerked up as I will simply let go then pull out spool and 3.3ft Halcyon backup from thigh pocket.

Assuming you aren't being facetious...

1) there's no positive latch, pull a bit and it will slip
2) the drag mechanism is less reliable than a thumb making it easy to bird's nest
3) harder to use your light correctly with a top mount reel compared to a sidemount handle

I had a Manta Jr. (2 actually) sold them for better reels.

I had a Manta Jr. (2 actually) sold them for better reels.

I, too, sold my Manta Jr. in favor of a side-handle of H-tastic lineage, come to think of it.

I thought his question was more about reel vs. spool though, in which case I think that a reel for launching a bag from 30 ft (my typical use) is overkill. Scott, I have to say that your "I'll just let my reel and bag go floating off and pull out a backup spool" is not exactly compelling me to run out and use my reel for bagging off! Why have a primary that has a high probability of needing a backup?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom