Diving conditions this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So normally the data is all in tune with each other, but for this weekend, the 3-day wave forecast doesn't look too bad for Sunday but the national marine forecast has a small craft advisory. Has anyone been diving in the last day or two? How did the conditions look?

I haven't gone diving since I got back from Hawaii at the beginning of March due to constantly crappy conditions. I'd love to get back in the water, but curious what everyone else has been seeing for diving in the last day or two.

That SCA is for wind, not swells, and it's for Saturday, not Sunday.
The three-day doesn't show wind.

Sunday is looking really good.

And I will disagree that the data is usually in tune. For the last 15 months,
the textural NOAA coastal and marine forecasts have been wildly
optimistic compared to the other forecasts and compared to the actuals
from the buoy. This started about the first of last year.

We kicked out to Lone Metridium at Lobos today. There was a little surge but the exit/entrance were fine at low tide.

The boat ramp is very slick, the vis was about 20ft at 70ft and less shallower.

BW looked OK when we checked conditions last night, but I didn't hear a vis report.

I'll be heading down to Breakwater today w/ the adv class. I'll post a dive report here when I'm back =]

Ok, thanks for the responses guys...I was starting to doubt the NOAA marine forecast data, as it does seem like the wave models are more accurate.

Looking forward to that trip report...and wishing I could ditch work on Monday, heh it looks fantastic then.

I'll second Kathy. at lobos best path is on a left side of the ramp off the pavement.

Tested a new camera rig at the Breakwater this afternoon. It was a bit choppy on the surface but a tolerable green 10 feet of viz....maybe a bit better further down the wall.

Here's my report:
The Breakwater Wall had a thermocline around 30ft which dropped the temp from 54F to 50F. I wasn't actually diving this dive because I got assigned beachmaster duties. The vis was around 10' at the max depth of 50ft.
I got this info from the instructor after she got out. The dive occurred between 9:30-10:40am

The second dive took place between 1:30-2:30pm. We dove to the Metridum Fields.
There were some small surface swells, enough to get a sensitive person queasy. But it was still definitely a walk in entry.
Water was a bone chilling 50F throughout and incredibly green; there were tons of detritus particles floating around the pipe. The white balance on my camera didn't fix a thing.
The group I was shadowing had a high SAC rate, so we had to turn around right as the pipe ended (no Metridium Fields for us).
We saw tons of chrysaora as usual, one with at least 8ft tentacles and a bell the size of a medium pizza plate. :eyebrow:
Visibility had dropped to 5ft even in the shallows. I think this was because the low tide was still pulling out.

All in all it was a great dive. There was some heavy morning fog driving down to Monterey. Once we got suited for the first dive it had burned off from the beach, but you could still see it off shore. The boats passing by were almost hidden in that soup.

The afternoon was bright and sunny though, our second instructor actually got sunburned while he was beachmastering. I'd also like to say that this was the first dive where I got blinded looking up to the surface from my safety stop.

I would definitely recommend bringing a hat, sunscreen, and some shades for your SI.

Thanks for the info guys...sounds like its definitely diveable, just typical Monterey conditions.

Guess I'm gonna have a late start thanks to my cat waking me up in the middle of the night. I'll hit the road after I consume a generous portion of coffee.

Drive and Dive safe.

And you better follow that coffee with an even more generous portion of water :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom