SMB Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, reel is no big deal with the double ended snap, but what about the lift bag/safety sausage?

Mine came with a nasty plastic snap which I pulled off and replaced with a SS snap tied with cave line to the bag - Any other method? Double ended snap??

Thanks,
Dwayne

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.

My smb (DSS) has a metal dring. I attach the end of the line to that, with a extra loop which use to secure the line to the spool with a double ender. Double ender gets clipped off to the line loop and the spool. there is really only one way that is natural. The other end is clipped off in my pocket.

Have you seen these videos?

Justin

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.

My smb (DSS) has a metal dring. I attach the end of the line to that, with a extra loop which use to secure the line to the spool with a double ender. Double ender gets clipped off to the line loop and the spool. there is really only one way that is natural. The other end is clipped off in my pocket.

Have you seen these videos?

Justin

Thanks - I have the DVD. Just to clarify - How do you store your SMB?

I store it pre-rigged and clipped off in my right pocket. My pocket has a bungee cord in it that I clip it off to. Some others prefer the left. With an 80 and a 40 there these days, the right is much easier.

Pre rigged = clip the double ender to the loop on the end of the spool, drop it through the d-ring and wrap it through the large opening you have on the spool before the knot.

Let me know if you need pictures of the rigging.

I store it pre-rigged and clipped off in my right pocket. My pocket has a bungee cord in it that I clip it off to. Some others prefer the left. With an 80 and a 40 there these days, the right is much easier.

Pre rigged = clip the double ender to the loop on the end of the spool, drop it through the d-ring and wrap it through the large opening you have on the spool before the knot.

Let me know if you need pictures of the rigging.

Thanks - I was using it prerigged myself but a number of these DIR videos show rigging the SMB at depth and I wanted to understand how the SMB was attached or stored before rigging.

Dwayne

I admire those who rig it at depth. My theory that I have evolved with further training is thus: When you need it you need it. Shoot it. Use it. Don't want to be fussing with rigging it. I'm sure those who insist on rigging it each time have more chest hair than you and all that, but it's a tool. When I need it I prefer to have it ready to be useful. :D

I admire those who rig it at depth. My theory that I have evolved with further training is thus: When you need it you need it. Shoot it. Use it. Don't want to be fussing with rigging it. I'm sure those who insist on rigging it each time have more chest hair than you and all that, but it's a tool. When I need it I prefer to have it ready to be useful. :D

To add to this. I have a H brand one that is oral only that takes long enough to wrap cold lips around and puch in and inflate, I can't imagine rigging it in addition. It would take like 5 minutes for my cold hands and cold lips to shoot the damn thing. LOL. I hate that bag. +1 for the DSS oral valve.

To add to this. I have a H brand one that is oral only that takes long enough to wrap cold lips around and puch in and inflate, I can't imagine rigging it in addition. It would take like 5 minutes for my cold hands and cold lips to shoot the damn thing. LOL. I hate that bag. +1 for the DSS oral valve.

I'm a fan of using my inflator hose although I also have tried oral inflation.

Thanks!

Dwayne

In Fundamentals, you have to demonstrate that you can rig an SMB and deploy it. After that, we generally carry them pre-rigged and ready to shoot, clipped off in the left pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom