Halcyon Aluminum Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife dives a small plate from Halcyon, but her Hog straps are almost cut in half and she has always complained about the straps cutting her under the arms. She wants to know if the Dive Rite delux comfort harness would work well on the plate and is it easy to attach to the plate. She also would consider the other comfort harnesses from other manufactures.

I just did that very thing...ditched my HOG harness and put a DR deluxe with quick release on my Halcyon plate. It works just fine and is very easy to weave. Go to the DR website and check out the video of Lamar Hires weaving the harness. He does it slowly and step by step so it's easy to follow.:)

Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba

I think its a bit more comfy and am actually thinking about putting one on my other plate as well. Sam

FWIW, I found the DR deluxe harness to cut into my shoulders since there are big metal rings integrated into the harness exactly where my collar bones are. I found the one-piece harness, even with very stiff webbing, to be much more comfortable. YMMV. Has she tried a one-piece harness using really soft webbing?

Hmmm...I didnt have that problem at all...if the D rings (which are on the waist straps) are digging into your collar bones then you might have it adjusted too high. Mine fall just below my collar bones.

Hmmm...I didnt have that problem at all...if the D rings (which are on the waist straps) are digging into your collar bones then you might have it adjusted too high. Mine fall just below my collar bones.

Not the D-rings, the circular rings on the shoulder straps, to which the chest strap connects:

1673.jpg

Ok..I see...you could try lengthening the shldrs a bit to lower the attatchment ponts...OR..if you dont want the harness anymore you could sell it to me..lol:D

Researched and it seems that Dive Rite smallest harness is a medium(too big). Hollis makes and Elite 2 in s/xs and seems it might work. A little more expensive, but I can handle it if she likes it. I don't think with shoulder pads that anything is going to cut into her .

Wife dives a small plate from Halcyon, but her Hog straps are almost cut in half and she has always complained about the straps cutting her under the arms. She wants to know if the Dive Rite delux comfort harness would work well on the plate and is it easy to attach to the plate. She also would consider the other comfort harnesses from other manufactures.

Researched and it seems that Dive Rite smallest harness is a medium(too big). Hollis makes and Elite 2 in s/xs and seems it might work. A little more expensive, but I can handle it if she likes it. I don't think with shoulder pads that anything is going to cut into her .

I don't think it's got anything to do about your bp or harness. I think it's just poor fitting. (Btw I dive a BlackArt bp with just plain weight belt webbing.)

My straps also appear barely hanging on at the shoulders, but they've been like that for the past 7 years. If you want to prevent your bp from cutting into your webbing, just use some tubing sliced down the middle to cover up the edges of the bp.

If straps are cutting her under the arms, it's just poor adjustment. It's either too loose or too tight. (I suspect loose because when that happened to me, that was the case.) The webbing should allow 2 finger spaces at the shoulder at armpit level. If you're using Halcyon, DIR fundies has instructions on where on all the H's everything should be.

Ok..I see...you could try lengthening the shldrs a bit to lower the attatchment ponts...OR..if you dont want the harness anymore you could sell it to me..lol:D

Already sold mine, and replaced with one-piece, but I've got another I might sell. Shoot me a PM with an offer if you're interested.

Just some thoughts: Has she become too used to the shoulder straps being too tight? They don't need to be that tight.

How tall is your wife? Maybe the medium BP is too short. A longer plate might move the shoulder strap away from her under arm. If her waist strap is up around the belly button, then maybe this might be a fix. If her waist strap is already down where it's supposed to be, sitting on/just above the hips, then a longer plate will not solve the problem.

Finally, Halcyon webbing is the softest on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom