Log book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChadK

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this is a broad question but I posted it here because I want people from NorCal to answer. I am a new diver and, of course, log my few dives. Why do I feel like a dork when I log my dive? It seems like many people don't and its only the "Newbs" that do this. Have you all noticed this? Do you log your dives? I guess after 1000s it doesn't matter anymore. Am I just making this up? What do you guys think?

Chad

I always log makes it easy to remember any configuration i dove

I think it's pretty normal to feel this way about log books when you first start out. It seems like a tally because you're just started but I would take it a step further and jot down notes about the dive: weighting, gear setup, skills/things to work on, etc.

What's a log book? :D

I don't do paper based logs but I do have a data recorder and type up some notes in the program.

But really with logs it is totally up to you. I don't know any diver who looks down on another diver for logging.

I'll answer from the other side... I did NOT log dives 20-150 or so, and wish I had. Several of them were logged on my (wrist) computer but I never could get the interface to work, so I never downloaded them. Unfortunately on a trip to offshore wrecks in NC last year, I accidentally dropped my computer off the boat while it was at full throttle. There's a lot of details relevant to me that are now forever lost to the ocean floor. :( Keep logging! (or make sure to download, at least!)

74 dives and still logging. It helps with the fact that I'm required to in order to keep one of my certifications. Plus I like logging dives, it's like a diving journal to me.
It's also really nice when a basic student asks to see my log book and I can just hand it to them.

There's a lot of computers out there that allow you to download your dives on your computer, so in a sense those divers have an electronic log book.

If you plan on taking more classes I suggest you log your dives. After that it's up to you.

ChadK:
Why do I feel like a dork when I log my dive? It seems like many people don't and its only the "Newbs" that do this.

I logged my first 500 dives, but you probably would not have noticed me doing any logging on the dive boat. I typically just scrawled some rough notes on a piece of paper .... air pressures, DM & Capt names, site names. The same scrap of paper often also had the email addresses of people that asked me for photos.

Then later on I would enter into a logbook time and depth info from the computer, and put in notes about conditions, what I saw, anything unusual, etc.

Hmm, okay, so it would seem that my sentiment is not exactly like I thought then. Do you have someone else sign off on them? My log book from PADI has the signature lines for buddies/instructors to sign off on.

I have heard that it is good to log because some trips wants you to prove you have a certain number of dives as well as if you want to be an instructor/divemaster etc. I fully intend on continuing my dive eductation and possibly be an instructor at some point so I am going to keep on logging for that reason

If you've dove with me in NorCal (or anywhere else) you likely didn't SEE me logging my dives.

I do, though. My computer keeps the data and, at the end of dive weekend (or week), I download the dive computer and fill out the log.

For me, it's a good way to digest and reflect my recent experiences.

Keep logging and DO NOT THINK THAT LOGGING IN ONLY FOR "NEWBS."

Back
Top Bottom