planning a weekend trip and need guidance from some pro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozorowsky

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

My fiance and I just got certified. We live in Tampa, FL and I am itching to dive. We are doing the state parks and local dives here weekly, and I want to hit up the keys soon.

Please tell me your thoughts. I am looking to do this as inexpensive as possible and thinking of doing this over a long weekend.

What I am considering is the following:

Friday: Drive from Tampa to Key Largo, FL (5 hrs) stay the night.
Saturday: Dive Key Largo then drive 2 hrs south to key west.
Sunday: Dive key west spend the night.
Monday Drive 2 hrs north to key west back to key largo and dive.
Tuesday drive home.

Now I haven't done the math, but would that be too much diving?

Any recommendations on packages that would make more sense/places to go?

First of all welcome to diving and welcome to SB.

Now, to you question: Too much diving?, No, 2 tanks, 3 days in a row is not too much. My thoughts on your plan may be too much driving. As much as I LOVE KW, I would suggest that you stay in Key Largo. The reefs are in better shape and generally the vis is better. There are plenty of shallow reef dives in the upper Keys, that are great for newer divers. Not hopping in your car afterwards would also give you the chance to go "island" and slow down. After your dive find a Tiki hut, get a grouper sandwich, enjoy an adult beverage if you are so inclined and listen to some music.

Key Largo also tends to be less expensive than Key West.

Have fun.
Safe dives
trtldvr

Hey there trtldvr EXCELLENT info. Thank you!

I was assuming key west would be better diving due to it being further south. Guess I was wrong heh.

I agree that you should just stay in key largo. I dive there every year and there is so much to see. Also, it fits your dive profile (shallow and lots to see). I believe sea dwellers on key largo has a deal if you stay in the holiday inn which isnt a bad place (great location!). I've heard nothing but good things about silent world charters, although I've never been out with them. All the charters are roughly the same price. Dive safe and have fun.

Also, if you're interested I have a friend who runs an eco-tour through the glades. Its kayaking and hiking. You WILL see so much cool stuff like gators, crocs, wild orchids, water moccasins, a million different birds and the list goes on. PM me if you're interested.

peace

I agree, wouldn't waste so much time driving around. Plant yourself in Key Largo and relax. If you stay there maybe you can get in a couple afternoon boats as well, or do other things instead of driving. (2 dives a day is not too much - while it's difficult to do from day boats, people often do 4-5 idves a day on dive trips.) Also tons of dive shops in Key Largo for some recreational shopping.

Thank you all for your replies. Ive sent out emails to all the sites listed on this site in key largo and will see what they can do for me to do both my advanced open water certification and some fun diving! :) Can't wait.

If you want to do AOW there, that is yet another reason to stick to one place and not move around. (Though since it's a short trip I'd try and do that at home and just dive on your trip, or else almost all your dives will be class dives, assuming you can get them scheduled.)

Diving in Key Largo is great.. Unless you just want to go to Key West then no need to do it to dive.
We enjoying going there for a day so on one day after our morning dives we drive down, have dinner, do Mallory Square and then return to Key Largo....
Since you are newbies you might want to check out Key Largo Scuba Shack....
We are diving with them to try someone new... They only take out 6 people per dive with DM in the water...

Just went back into post.. We do have a new diver with us that will be doing her AOW while we are there..They sounded like a good, comfortable dive shop to do it with since the group is small.
Have fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom