snorkel after diving - No fly time risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnmpcny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If I snorkel the off diving day before or even morning of my return flight after a week of diving does that add to my no fly time or risk? I do get down 20 to 30 + ft when I do this and was asked by one person since I equalize do I increase any risks when flying the next day or same day? It had never occurred to me.

If I snorkel the off diving day before or even morning of my return flight after a week of diving does that add to my no fly time or risk? I do get down 20 to 30 + ft when I do this and was asked by one person since I equalize do I increase any risks when flying the next day or same day? It had never occurred to me.

Are you breathing compressed air at depth?

I think I heard from an uncle of a friend's cousin's wive's son, or just read
that it depends on the size of your snorkel

In my limited experience...I dont think it would be a problem if you're snorkeling.
If you're not breathing compressed air, then your no fly time should not be affected.

However, if during the previous day's dive, you surpassed the NDL times and were forced into making a DECO stop, then intensive snorkeling (or any tiring physical work) is not recommended directly after the dive.

Enjoy

BA

Submersion will increase the PP of nitrogen in you body and effect the off-gassing process. It can even result in increasing the body's nitrogen loading. In an extreme example, Japanese pearl divers (free divers) have been known to get the bends.

That said, I don't think I would worry much about a total bottom time of 5 to 10 minutes at 20 to 30 feet. But, you always have the option of just remaining on the surface and not taking any added risks.

That said, I don't think I would worry much about a total bottom time of 5 to 10 minutes at 20 to 30 feet.

I had to read this a couple of times to realize you said "total" and didn't mean all at once. I thought wow... that guy can really hold his breath.

duh. :shocked2:

I had to read this a couple of times to realize you said "total" and didn't mean all at once. I thought wow... that guy can really hold his breath.

duh. :shocked2:

I think you and I read that the same way lol. I was thinking the same thing.

What I know , if the air is not compressed then dont worry about it . plus how many minutes did you spend below the surface ?
What is important from my point of view (I'm not a doctor) is the no fly time on your dive computer that is based on actual diving .

On an episode of Planet Earth I watched an Indonesian (I think) free diver who can hold his breath for up to five minutes at 60 feet. Incredible.

Submersion will increase the PP of nitrogen in you body and effect the off-gassing process. It can even result in increasing the body's nitrogen loading. In an extreme example, Japanese pearl divers (free divers) have been known to get the bends.

That said, I don't think I would worry much about a total bottom time of 5 to 10 minutes at 20 to 30 feet. But, you always have the option of just remaining on the surface and not taking any added risks.
+ 1 what awap said.

The air in your lungs while free-diving is compressed, to the ambient pressure, so there is some increased risk of DCS. However, in the scenario described by the OP, the increase is likely extremely negligible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom