Private training day with Guy Shockey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aussie82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So Saturday April 2nd I did a private training day with Guy Shockey outside of Victoria BC. I had a great time and learned more than I thought I would. I thought I would post a bit of a report in case someone else is considering traveling to seek training like I did.

To start off with some background on me, I have about 50 (estimate) dives. I have to admit that after diving in the same mud hole for so long I don’t log all my dives. I have never dived warm water. I currently live in Boise, Idaho. I have done up through AOW and also hold nitrox and drysuit specialties with PADI. I’m a student at Boise State University and I work fulltime at HP doing sales. I spent 5 years as an infantry soldier and was very curious about GUE and DIR. The standardization really appealed to me. I can tell you from experience of leading a team in Iraq in 2003 and 2004 that standardization of gear and SOP’s (standard operating procedures) saves lives. So the GUE thing seemed to be my cup of tea so to speak.

To start off with I wanted to do a Primer with Guy. I was traveling up to Olympia, Seattle and Port Angeles, WA to visit friends in each place over spring break. I also took the full week off work. It’s rare that I get time off from both at the same time. I looked at Guy's schedule and noticed that he had a Primer course scheduled for the 1st of April. I knew this was typically a 2 day course and thought that would be great. I do the Primer the 1st and 2nd and have enough time to be back at work today; Turns out that the primer runs through Sunday but starts Friday evening. That didn’t work so I asked to move the class one day earlier. This didn’t end up happening. At this point I ready to toss in the towel and asked about a private training day. We started to work out the specifics and after quite a few emails and looking at the logistics of getting over to Victoria, renting some of the gear I would need, finding a place to stay and so forth the cost had gone up considerably. I’m a student and also have a wife and two kids to support so cost is always a major factor. I had some buyer’s remorse the night before meeting Guy but it’s a sunk cost at that point. (I’m happy eating ramen, my 2-year old not so much:wink:). I decided to pursue it so Guy and I agreed to meet at 9 am on Saturday at Henderson Point.

I showed up early because I couldn’t sleep and didn’t want to be late. Guy showed up and we got started. We spent quite a bit of time going over what experience I had and him allowing me to ask questions. We went over the basics for buoyancy and trim and propulsion. This is really what we focused on for the day. The thing that really impressed me was the amount of detail he could give on something that seemed simple. He could justify why everything was done a specific way. Some examples are why GUE doesn’t believe in computer diving, why the long hose, why the BP/W, etc. I also liked that he would lead me to an answer to my own question and then let me figure out the answer. I currently have a BP/W by Apeks; Guy pointed out some of the things that would make it more in line with GUE standards. We got in the water and we spent the dive working on controlling myself in the water column. After the dive he mentioned that I had really good trim and to maintain that and to work on my buoyancy. We went to lunch together and also stopped by Beyond Deep Diving to drop off some tanks. We spent the whole day discussing the differences and reasoning behind why GUE has the SOP’s they do. We then went back to the dive site and did two more dives. By the end of the day I was cold and tired and feeling a little swamped with the amount of info I had received.

In hindsight it was worth all the time, money and effort. Not to bash PADI but I wish I could say the same for all my training with them. I will be pursuing more GUE training in the future. I guess I drank the Kool-Aid.:D If anyone else out there is considering doing something similar and wants to chat feel free to PM me. I wish I had a GUE instructor in my area but I don’t. I did find out that Guy will travel to Seattle to do training which for me is easier and cheaper. I want to say thank you to Guy Shockey for the great raining and day diving. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday.

Alastair Duncan

That's a wonderful post, Alistair!

I think there is a ton of benefit to be had from taking diving lessons. A few years ago, I did a weekend every six weeks or so with a very fine instructor -- I was not taking a class, per se, but just trying to improve as a diver. It was enormously useful, and low stress, because there was no "pass/fail" component to it. More people ought to do that sort of thing, I think.

BTW, if you are ever coming over to Seattle to work with Guy, you are welcome to stay at our place (as long as you are cat-tolerant!).

It was a great way to be introduced to GUE and DIR. TSandM I appreciate the offer to stay when I come up to continue my taining with Guy. I'm allergic to cats but it's nothing a zyrtec won’t fix. :D I can always bring a sleeping bag and as long as have a floor to crash on and access to a shower I'm good.

Alastair

No need for a sleeping bag -- two guest rooms. The cats are unavoidable, though :)

I'm always absolutely there to do what I can to help any DIR-interested diver.

BTW, if you are ever coming over to Seattle to work with Guy, you are welcome to stay at our place (as long as you are cat-tolerant!).

Do I get the same offer if I am going over to work with other instructors? :wink:

Randy's going to work with Brian and Jeanna, I think, and they are definitely on the approved list!

sounds like guy is really doing some great things out there. we could use some more of that type of this in florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom