N Monastery and Butterfly house brief report 4/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
N N Monastery in the morning found a somewhat protected entry point entered in breaking waves between knee and hip high. Vis was a very poor 5-8ft when I dropped but thankfully improved to 15-20 as I got beyond 30fsw. Had a couple sea lions pass by checking me out from time to time. Didn't go deep this time but stuck to the kelp reef in 40-60fsw enjoying the fish and topography. Surge present even at that depth. Water cold, my guage reading 50F which means it was probably actually 47F as my guage always reads high. There were a number of gumboot chitons releasing spawn simultaneously. I have read about but never observed first hand a mass spawning event so this was very interesting. The chitons were spread out several feet apart over a wide area and had contorted their bodies into a volcano shape releasing the whitish spawn from the top. Sorry I didn't carry my camera on this dive.
Max depth: 61fsw
Avg depth: 36fsw
dive time: 51 min

Butterfly house in the afternoon. much easier entry but still had surge to contend with. Went straight out to reach outer reef and glad I did as the vis was a nice 25-30ft there and I can across some nice patches of hydrocoral and I just added an arm and light to my video camera and it picked up the color. filmed some nudibranchs as well. link to video YouTube - Bflyhouse_ 4_19_11.mov
Max depth: 64fsw
Avg depth: 35fsw
dive time: 47 min

safe diving everyone
Ken L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom