Not sure on the gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gjr97036

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice and hope someone can help. I was just recently certified for my Advanced Open Water through PADI. I was offered a package deal and I am not sure if it is a good price or not for the gear. The offer is;
Aqualung PRO LT BC
Titan LX Regulator
Aqualung ABS Octopus
SUUNTO Cobra 3 Computer w/Quick Connect. Package Deal for $1600.

Is this worth the money for a new diver and is it a good price? Thanks to anyone who can provide some advice.

I thought that seemed high for a package, so I put together something I think would be more or less comparable, and checked prices on line. HOG d1 regulator setup (1st stage, 2 seconds stages, hoses) for $250 at Dive Right In Scuba; Tec 2G wrist computer for $324 at LeisurePro, and your Pro BC (which I personally wouldn't want) for $450 at Diver Direct. That's $1000 altogether, so $1600 doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

The AquaLung ABS octo is usable but does not breath well and has a bad reputation.
The air integrated Cobra 3 Cannot be used as a wrist computer, they do give you some information on gas consumption rate and remaining dive time. I do not know how reliable or well the electronic compass works. The dive shop I use is considering going back to analog SPG's and non air integrated computers on their rentals because of the issue of water getting into the first stag and then into the computer and ruining the computer. An SPG is a lot cheaper to replace than a computer and is probably less apt to fail.

The Titan is a good reg.
Like TSandM I think you could get a better deal if you looked around a bit.

Have you looked around at other shops and brands, done some research, picked out this gear? Or is this just what the shop you've been using sells, or wants to sell you? If you haven't already, figure out if it's the gear you actually want first. If it's not then it's not a good deal because you'll be likely be unhappy with at least some of it not too far down the road and and wanting to replace pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom