Your Support is Needed to Stop Shark Finning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDivingNews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
by Bruce Watkins

It is difficult to get the news these days and not be overwhelmed with information documenting the continual decline of the health of our oceans. Over fishing, pollution, oil spills, climate change all contribute to the problem, and it sometimes seems so vast a problem that it may be unsolvable. Yet, there is hope; and each of you reading this can now do something that will make a big difference for one group of animals--sharks.

To help protect sharks, California Assemblymen Paul Fong and Jared Huffman have introduced a new bill... Read More

upload_0000OU.jpg

It has passed the WP&W and appropriations committee's and is due for the third reading on the 25th. Everyone needs to contact their elected officials and urge a yes vote on AB376 to help stop the barbaric practice of shark finning

I sent my supporting letter in to my representative some time ago and she responded that she will vote for AB376.

Letter sent this morning.

The people opposed are mostly the older Asian community. The younger generations are for conservation and against eating shark fin soup. I have first hand inside knowledge of this.

Unfortunately from what I have read, this bill may stall a long, long time before being put in front of the Governor. If anything costs the state money it is throw out almost immediately. I would think getting it passed would be a wake up call and a deterrent enough to slow the sales down in California and help spread the banning around the world. Enforcing it could be carried out in other ways, and would drive the sales underground at least.

Back
Top Bottom