Tides??? Why so irregular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is brought up because we are looking at going to BHB tomorrow. The tide tables say at Port of Palm Beach 12:22pm High tide. I started looking at the areas around all the way up from jacksonville to the keys and I noticed that they are a bit inconsistent with the time of day... From North Palm to Boynton there is an 1hr 20min difference. whats the deal?

I don't know your area specifically but I would imagine the answer is ...inlets, coves, any irregularity in the coastline that slows down the passage of water.

The ocean doesn't rise up (or down) everywhere at the same time. Each location has its own tide times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teotwawki!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool so no one really knows. I know the earth rotates and that pulls the tides but it is just weird that north FL and south FL will have the same time but somewhere in the middle will have 1-2hr difference.

Irregular tides are usually related to hormone fluctuations...

my guess is waves if you look at the diffrence up the east coast with comparison to the moon position youll see a wave reverbaration pattern. Just speculation though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom