How good is the Coolpix L24?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reecard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting ready to purchase my first underwater camera and housing. I have found a kit that includes a Nikon Coolpix L24 and an Ikelite case. Has anyone used this camera for underwater photography? I am also interested in purchasing the Ikelite AF35 Autoflash kit for the setup. I am just a beginner at UW photography, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I currently shoot with a L18 that came in the Ikelite kit with an AF35. The Lxx series cameras are about as simple as a point and shoot can possibly get. The cameras have no ability to shoot in raw and no ability for the user to select apeture or shutter speed. The Ikelite kit is very inexpensive and you can get very good pictures with it. Focus is OK, you'll learn to half press the shutter and move the camera to get good focus on macro. Focus speed and shutter delay are both fairly good for a point and shoot but if you shoot above water with a good dSLR like I do you'll hate the response times. If you've got experience with above water photography you may find yourself frustrated with the inability to set apeture and shutter speed but after a thousand shots or so I find myself having a pretty good idea of what the camera is going to decide and composing around that. I have had some issues with fogging of the housing but if you use a desicant pack in the housing you should be fine.

All in all I've enjoyed it as a starter camera for underwater use and it can get better pictures than 95% of the people shooting with much more expensive gear. You may find yourself frustrated with it's lack of control but for at least the first 4 or 5 trips I had it I thought it was me holding my pictures back not the camera. You'll eventually probably want to upgrade but I'd have no issues recommending it for a starter system.

Taken on our recent trip to Roatan with the L18 in an Ikelite housing with AF35 flash.
dscn4426-M.jpg

Thanks for the reply and all the information. That is an awesome pic, can you send me some more??

Roatan April 2011 - philandjen's Photos

Sorry didn't see your reply earlier. That is the link to the gallery for our most recent dive trip. If you flip through the other vacation galleries you can see how the images have improved over time as I've learned more about the system and how to get good pictures out of it.

dscn4445-M.jpg

this has sealed the deal for me....i was gonna hold out and piece together an oly ep set up but this seems very capable for what i am looking to do. nothing fancy, mostly macro.

picked up my l24/ikelite housing today....will try and hit some tide pools this week and post some macro shots. the af35 will be bought in the next couple of weeks....along with the wide angle attachment :)

I currently shoot with a L18 that came in the Ikelite kit with an AF35. The Lxx series cameras are about as simple as a point and shoot can possibly get. The cameras have no ability to shoot in raw and no ability for the user to select apeture or shutter speed. The Ikelite kit is very inexpensive and you can get very good pictures with it. Focus is OK, you'll learn to half press the shutter and move the camera to get good focus on macro. Focus speed and shutter delay are both fairly good for a point and shoot but if you shoot above water with a good dSLR like I do you'll hate the response times. If you've got experience with above water photography you may find yourself frustrated with the inability to set apeture and shutter speed but after a thousand shots or so I find myself having a pretty good idea of what the camera is going to decide and composing around that. I have had some issues with fogging of the housing but if you use a desicant pack in the housing you should be fine....

very true...had some surge in the shallows today and the AF was not so great...

I currently shoot with a L18 that came in the Ikelite kit with an AF35. The Lxx series cameras are about as simple as a point and shoot can possibly get. The cameras have no ability to shoot in raw and no ability for the user to select apeture or shutter speed. The Ikelite kit is very inexpensive and you can get very good pictures with it. Focus is OK, you'll learn to half press the shutter and move the camera to get good focus on macro. Focus speed and shutter delay are both fairly good for a point and shoot but if you shoot above water with a good dSLR like I do you'll hate the response times. If you've got experience with above water photography you may find yourself frustrated with the inability to set apeture and shutter speed but after a thousand shots or so I find myself having a pretty good idea of what the camera is going to decide and composing around that. I have had some issues with fogging of the housing but if you use a desicant pack in the housing you should be fine....

very true...had some surge in the shallows today and the AF was not so great...

just using auto mode, internal flash, no attachments @ 110ft. i gotta get used to this camera...

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom