Recommendations for Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trptman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a novice diver (11 dives so far) and will be doing recreational diving only - probably about 20 dives per year in warm water locations.

I purchased an Aqualung Zuma, and for the most part it has been good - easy to pack, light weight, keeps me in a good position, etc. The downside is the bladder is not protected and like others have reported, it suffered some abrasion (not sure how) and it now leaks. I could try patching it, but I suspect this will just keep happening. I read some reviews where this was reported and I said to myself, I'll just be very careful (I know, I know - I should have paid attention to the warnings).

I would like recommendations on travel BCs. Important to me are easy to pack - I want to be able to put in my carry-on. I'm not as concerned about weight. The Zuma is a back inflate style and I want something similar. I do want to have an integrated weight system.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Trptman

Zuma is a nice design, but I like my Oxycheq back plate and wing: 18lb wing with SS travel plate, adjustable harness and medium (holds 5lb) weight pockets. Packs fairly small and is heavy duty.

zeagle express tech. i've heard nothing but great things about that rig.

Zeagle Express Tech. Dives great, very customizable, packs very small and light, inexpensive.

I dive mine for everything, my Ranger hangs in the closet.

I use the 24# for warm water and the 44# from the Ranger for cold water.

Order an ET with the 35 or 36# bladder and it will do warm and cold water.

Seaquest Balance.

I dove the Libra *the women's version of the Balance* as my travel BC for the longest time and have recently traveled with the Zuma (didnt have a problem, I actually really liked it). That being said, I loved my Libra. Super comfortable, super durable and packed well.

PS- While the Balance is not the technical wing like these guys have mentioned, it is still back inflate. This is why it will fit into a carry-on with no problems (my husband wore his for everything including travel and we ALWAYS carry-on our gear..:wink:)

It really is a good bet.

I purchased an Aqualung Zuma, and for the most part it has been good - easy to pack, light weight, keeps me in a good position, etc. The downside is the bladder is not protected and like others have reported, it suffered some abrasion (not sure how) and it now leaks. I could try patching it, but I suspect this will just keep happening. I read some reviews where this was reported and I said to myself, I'll just be very careful (I know, I know - I should have paid attention to the warnings).
What options did Aqualung Customer Service give you for fixing the bladder of your Zuma?

Zeagle Express Tech. Dives great, very customizable, packs very small and light, inexpensive.

How have you customized the ET? Straps? Padding? D rings?

I'm tempted to get one, but I live and dive in Thailand and have some concerns about service.

I started with the Base ET added a D ring on each of the shoulder/chest straps and on each side of the waist strap, added some plastic triglides for various reasons. Added the padding package but ended up only using the shoulder pads and chest strap, I personally like a chest strap it seems to make a better fit for me.

I added some XS Scuba weight pockets, 2 Quick Release pockets on the waist strap and 2 Quick Attach pockets on the chest straps for trim.

I added the Zeagle E-Z Mount QD Pouch for my SMB and attached it with 2 of the Quick Link and Strap.

This winter I got the Deluxe Harness to make it easier to get the old body into and out of the ET. I found it to be more comfortable than the original, I can pull the chest straps inward and keep the straps more parallel down my chest and then down to the waist.

When I dive in cold water I put the 44# bladder from my Ranger on and added 2 more XS Scuba quick release weight pockets. If I knew what I know now when I ordered mine I would have ordered my ET with a 35 or 36# bladder and used that everywhere.

Zeagle has multiple weighting options and other accessories available

If you have concerns about service and support contact Zeagle through their forum on this board or email them. Their customer service is top notch

Bubbletrubble - I just got back from Punta Cana today, so I will contact my LDS to see what my options are. Even if I can get it repaired somehow, I'm afraid that this is likely to happen again.

I have been reading other threads on this forum and it seems as if the Zeagle Express is a pretty popular choice for a travel BC - I will check it out if I don't stick with the Zuma.

Back
Top Bottom