The Horror of Mask Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
When I first started to dive the only thing that scared me was having my mask off underwater.

I'm a very comfortable swimmer and never had any problems opening my eyes underwater on a regular swim - in fact it's always been hard to keep me out of the water. The thing that bothered me was that on scuba I had to block my nose off and at the same time inhale - not a natural feeling and it caused me a lot of distress. I was able to do the mask removal and clear without too many problems during my OW training because I knew I had to but the feeling of dread continued in the back of my mind . .

For the first few months after OW I tried to avoid practicing mask removal and was pretty paranoid about (gasp!!) having my mask knocked off underwater. I finally decided that this was a dangerous situation and that I needed to get more comfortable with this skill for my own safety.

I began by getting negative on my knees on a sandy patch at the end dives and quickly taking the mask off and putting it straight back on again, all with my eyes closed. When this became comfortable enough i began waiting about 5 seconds before I put the mask back on and cleared. The first few times were the worst but I quickly calmed down, especially as I would repeat this about a half a dozen times before calling it quits. I then added opening my eyes to the mix and gradually increased the amount of time to a couple of minutes over 5 or 6 dives. At that point, problem solved!! I moved on to taking my mask off during safety stops and keeping myself neutral while looking around for a minute or two before putting the mask back on.

I continue to do this periodically and now think it is kind of fun to follow along and figure out what the rest of the dive group are doing through my blurry vision. Some tips that worked for me:

- Close your eyes for a moment before the water floods into your face, then reopen them once the mask is off. Much more comfortable that way.

- Lean your head forward and exhale through your nose - the bubbles won't go straight up your face into your eyes and your nose will be less likely to fill with water.

My point for posting this: I know that this is a fairly common 'fear' and as I've progressed with training and dive in different spots with different buddies I often encounter people who are very much like I was - they can grit their teeth and do the skill of mask removal but they aren't very comfortable with it.

So, my sincere advice to everyone, find a way to practice and make, or keep, this very important skill comfortable (even fun). When you think of all the accidents that can happen when you are underwater - getting your mask knocked off is probably one of the more common ones. Be prepared for it so it is only a minor inconvenience rather than something that causes panic or worse.

thanks for listening to my ramble . . . :)

Nice to see there are divers out there that practice the skills that they were taught in there basic class. The only way to get truly comfortable with the skills is to practice them.

Don't forget to add sharing air and reg recoveries to those practice sessions. You may be comfortable with them but practice makes perfect, especially sharing air as that involves two people and can result in various problems.

well done, it's sounds like a very good idea, I will try it next time I'm out diving. and well done for over comming your fear.

I practice at least one of many skills I've learned diving...every time I dive.

You should know your gear, like you know your own mind & body.

Since my son started diving last year I've gone back and practiced lots of the basic skills - not to mention rescue skills. He and I practice the regulars - reg recovery, mask removal / clear, sharing air on the first dive every time we go out. So far so good - his skills are improving quickly!

Not meant as a preachy post but it is one of the most common sources of anxiety that i notice in new divers . . .

When I first learnt to dive I loved being in the water but I hated mask clearing. At that point I couldn't open my eyes under water for some strange fear. On my first 2 OW dives. We did a full flood and clear and I tipped the mask outwards from the top rather than the bottom and couldn't clear it at all. I didn't panick but after my instructor tried to help by tapping me on the arm and pulling my mask outwards from the bottom.... I still didn't get it. I had forgot what I had practiced in the pool. So I signaled "up" to him and we ascended slowly. When I came down again, he signaled for me to do the skill. I knew what I had done wrong but I just shook my head and refused to do it.

I got told I had to do it on the third dive so I went off to a swimming pool one afternoon before my next dive and practiced clearing my mask again and again and again untill I was happy I could do it.

Now I am an instructor and I am really good and helping students overcome fears and difficulties with skills because I understand what they feel. I think that intstructors who weren't instantly dive gods when they learnt to dive are usually better at teaching than those that were because we have the ability to remember what we went through and can make a student feel less insecure and useless when they are finding something difficult. So many people are inspired when I tell them how hard mask clearing was for me and when i tell them my story it gives them that hope that they will master the skill just like I did.

I regularly remove my mask on fun dives and encourage my buddies to do the same, to keep the skill easy and fun.

:)

I also overcame the fear of opening my eyes underwater before I did my Rescue course.

I never was thrilled with mask clearing/removal, but I never feared it and it never really bothered me. In my OW pool sessions, my instructor had us perform both clearing and removal skills for him, but repeat them for each Divemaster assisting the class. I thought that was annoying, practical, and educational.

For anyone reading this thread because they are worried about having to perform this skill in the near future, let me offer this thought. Take it or leave it.

It is NOT a difficult NOR dangerous skill. At worst I think it is an uncomfortable or unfamiliar procedure in the beginning. I believe people who are worried about it, build and build and built it up in their head. They psyche themselves out, and make more out of it than it is. Thus, making it difficult to perform.

If you are still worried about it, keep this in your head more than your worry: No matter how strange I feel, even though I don't like not being able to see during this, although I don't like water in my eyes, as long as I have my reg in my mouth and can breathe I am going to be alright. In the end, just know if you fumble or need some time or whatever, you are fine. Just breathe.

I've seen students who didn't like this skill rush it to get it over with. Well the quicker you do it, the less the skill works. Take your time. Relax. You will be amazed how easy you got through it, and you will be doing it on your own.

Taking your mask off during dives for practice is a good idea but I think it's a good idea to let your buddy know when you're doing it. Having your mask off can interfere with communication and your ability to know what's going on around you.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Taking your mask off during dives for practice is a good idea but I think it's a good idea to let your buddy know when you're doing it. Having your mask off can interfere with communication and your ability to know what's going on around you.

That's crazy mike....like communication or something is important during a dive....sheesh.

But I agree practicing with the mask off is good.

I had the same problem, and when it came time for cavern class, I had to do a no mask swim following a line course. When it came time, i did what i had to do, and made it around in record time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom