New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacherjoe

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I was introduced to diving a short time ago in Mexico. I did the Scuba Discovery and a 30 minute dive at a nearby reef. It was amazing. I am considering getting my OW certification but am interested in speaking to local (Moncton or Pictou County) divers to get a feel for what dive sites are available in the area. anyone willing to allow me to pick their brains, please email me through here.

Thanks

Joe

Joe

There used to be a dive club on Moncton, but it's been inactive for a bit. They still have a Yahoo Groups board up. You could try posting there, several folks do still monitor the board..

diveexchange : Moncton Dive Club

Otherwise I think you'll find that most divers in that area tend to travel to Halifax area or Deer Island/St. George for their diving.

Connie

CEB is right the better diving is done in NS and around Deer Is. If you are just thinking about getting your OW course I would advise you to take the course then dive the Strait and over on PEI were it tends to be a shallow and easy dive providing no big waves. Get in 10-15 dives as fast as you can and then get on an advanced course, follow up with a rescue course which is more like a self rescue course. Diving here is nothing like the Carib. but that is not saying it isn't good, I have been diving all over Atlantic Canada for the past 33 years and I'm not about to give it up any time soon. I love diving here but it is not with out it's challenges and when you do go back south you will feel all that more confident about your skills and make your experience that much better.
ZDD

Thanks folks. The experience in the Carib was great. I do plan on moving ahead with the OW course and beyond.

What is the cost of renting equipment? If not buying everything, what items are a must to own?

J

What is the cost of renting equipment? If not buying everything, what items are a must to own?

J
Purchasing all the gear you will need all at once will be expensive if you buy new. I would shop around on Kijiji or ebay for used gear like a weight belt, regulator, gauges, fins, and BC (Make sure it fits over the wet suit befor purchasing). You should get your wet suit, boots, hood, and mits new because you need to get a perfect fit. The water here is cold even in late summer and if your suit does not fit right or if the rubber is old and stiff you will freeze and it's hard to injoy your sport when you are freezing.
As for renting/owning I would leave the tank for last and rent them as needed. make the wet suit and regulator first priority. They are expensive but will make diving more injoyable and more sanitary.
You will need a mask and fins for the OW course so you will have to purchase those. When I did my course in the 70s we had to buy a hood, boots, mitts, mask and snorkel you may have to as well.
If you get serious about diving you will likely get a dry suit which is a good move. I dove wet for years in the winter untill I got my first dry suit but I wont be doing it any more. Too old for that crap.
Any way diving can be pricy when you are starting out but compared to other sports like hockey, skying and snow mobiling it is quite reasonable.
ZDD

Hey Cacherjoe ... kijiji is a great place to get gear (get it checked by a dive shop though) and check out Torpedo Rays in Halifax/Dartmouth if you're looking for good quality new and 2nd hand gear, I bought my BCD and regular set from them as year old rental gear for about half the price as you'd pay new with the warranty included ... plus they do OW courses and have links to their dive club and dive maps of all kinds of places to dive around Halifax (including a ton of wrecks). For Pictou County, there's a wreck off Pictou Island that I have heard of people diving (The George Cluett I believe its called) ... hopefully that helps you out a bit

in moncton..there is the Quarry....its about 25 - 40 feet deep...lots of garbage and cars and crap in there...but good fresh water diving...if you are interested in Diving the Northumberland Strait...we are going to be having our Dive charters pretty soon where we go and dive the northumberland strait..once the Dive is completed..i check 2 lines of my commercial lobster traps and we have a Lobster Feast on the way back to the wharf...

Back
Top Bottom