Weighting for voyager pak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcfahy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I called DR yesterday for advice on choosing between Voyager Pak and TravelPac. I was impressed with the friendly and helpful attitude but I forgot to ask a question about weighting system for my new Voyager Pak. I would llike to go with the 16 lbs integrated weight pocket and have the option of spreading as much as another say 8 lbs on the tank and harness to improve trim. Assume I get a clipper pocket and attach 4 lbs to the tank, where do you suggest I place the remaining 4 lbs. I would like to put it on the harness but want it as streamlined as possible as my ultimate aim is to optimise trim and that is why I want to avoid the 32 lb weight pockets. Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. i saw on your Transpac configuration video mention of harness weights but I cannot see how they were attached.

I called DR yesterday for advice on choosing between Voyager Pak and TravelPac. I was impressed with the friendly and helpful attitude but I forgot to ask a question about weighting system for my new Voyager Pak. I would llike to go with the 16 lbs integrated weight pocket and have the option of spreading as much as another say 8 lbs on the tank and harness to improve trim. Assume I get a clipper pocket and attach 4 lbs to the tank, where do you suggest I place the remaining 4 lbs. I would like to put it on the harness but want it as streamlined as possible as my ultimate aim is to optimise trim and that is why I want to avoid the 32 lb weight pockets. Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. i saw on your Transpac configuration video mention of harness weights but I cannot see how they were attached.

Hi,

Glad to assist if I can. If I understand correctly, you need to wear 8lbs total weight for buoyancy/trim? You would like to put 4lbs on the tank and 4 lbs on the harness, correct?

It's hard to answer this question without seeing you in the water or knowing more about how you float (for example, I am naturally a head-down diver and therefore distribute my weight differently than a neutral or head-up diver). However, if you are neutral, then put 2lbs on either side of the tank on a cam (hard weight) and put 2lbs in a clipper pocket and start with them under the armpits on the side plates (if that's all the weight you use I would use the clippers as weight pockets, please note they are not ditchable). Then you can adjust pockets forward or backward depending on how you see yourself in the water (are you rolling, tipping forward or backward). It's a matter of trial and error to see where you need the weight. If you find your feet are down, then put weight up higher on the tank and/or move it forward on the weight belt instead of toward your back.

Does this make sense? Tell me more and I'm happy to assist.

Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen. I plan to use the QR pockets on the 2" front cam but do not want all of the remaining trim weight on the cylinder cam. Putting a few pounds in clipper pockets under the arms is the type of solution I am seeking. What is the secure way of attaching the clipper pockets under the arm? My apologies, I am used to jacket style BC and want to go the streamlined way but not visualizing the rig setup as well as I would like at this stage. thanks agian

i want a max of 24 lbs with no more than 16 on my belt. I do not want all trim weights on cylinder strap so a few pounds on harness would be a good option. Thanks for your help

i want a max of 24 lbs with no more than 16 on my belt. I do not want all trim weights on cylinder strap so a few pounds on harness would be a good option. Thanks for your help

I think that you had the right idea about using the clipper pockets.

With the Transpac, there are D-rings that run along the side of the Transpac that you can attach harness weights to (looks like of like ankle weight). However, a couple of issues there: 1) Dive Rite doesn't make harness weights any more though you can still find them online (I have 4lbs of harness weight in two 2-lbs strips on my Transpac), and 2) your BC doesn't have the D-rings to attach these harness weights to. The Voyager and Travel are much simplified Transpacs so they don't have switchable wings and no D-rings on the sides among other things.

If you look hard enough you will see the harness weights attached to both sides of my Transpac in the below photo. The ones with the neon green paint on them.

BobRicePondBoiseID.jpg

Thanks fnfalman for the useful photo and idea about the harness weights which are the size and shape that I am seeking. I am going to find a set of these weights and work out a way of attaching them as you have around the bladder for the trim I am seeking.

The link shows what a Dive Rite harness/trim weight look like. I know a shop in Boise, Idaho that has a bunch of these weights in different weight configuration (4-lbs, 6-lbs, 8-lbs).

Dive Rite - Harness weight | Accessories | Scuba Diving Store - Diving Equipment Online Store

The holes at the ends are used in conjunction with the quick links and clipped to the Transpac's side small D-rings. Link below shows you what the quick links look like.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Quick Links

Here are some better photos of the trim weights attached to my Transpac. You will see how it's attached to the Transpac and the second photo shows it tucks away along the diver's side. BTW, the girl is in the photo but that's my rig that I lended her for the day.

I figure maybe you can use bungee cords or nylon cords to secure these trim weights to the BC somehow.

Transpac002.jpg

SBIPVDEC200926.jpg

That is incredibly useful fnfalman and thanks for taking the time so that I can now visualize the setup. I clicked on your first link for the harness weights and it takes me to a shop in Singapore but they are sold out. Do you remember the Boise shop link or name as I will follow your lead on this. Many thanks again. John

That is incredibly useful fnfalman and thanks for taking the time so that I can now visualize the setup. I clicked on your first link for the harness weights and it takes me to a shop in Singapore but they are sold out. Do you remember the Boise shop link or name as I will follow your lead on this. Many thanks again. John

Dive Magic in Boise, Idaho, USA. When you talk to the shop owner (Mike) or whomever working there (probably his wife or daughters), just tell them that you got info from HT. It's a modest but cool shop.

Dive Magic - Helping You Explore Our World

How are you going to attach the trim weights to your harness? I'm thinking either bungee cord or parachute cord. Loop through the shoulders and the belts.:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom