Interchanging wings with oxycheq ultralite palte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have been diving with a transpac and dive rite travel wing (an older model without the grommets and am pretty sure it has 24 lb lift or less). I also have a mach v 30 lb that I have used with it but kinda like the fact that the DR wing is lighter and quicker drying.

I just bought the oxycheq ultralite plate and plan on selling off my transpac.

For those of you that use the ultralite plate... can you use wings other than oxycheq ones with them by just bolting them to it?

Since the mach v has the rolled tabs down the middle that act like a sta, can I get by with using a wing that doesn't have that?

Am really leaning towards the new model DR travel wing with the grommets if it will work with the plate and can sell off my transpac and other wings.

Seems like it shouldn't be a problem and am thinking that the only reason oxycheq states that you need their wing with it is simply another way for them to make more money.

Would love feedback on using different brand wings with the plate from those of you that do just that.

I will only be using it for diving outside the US

thanks

Since the mach v has the rolled tabs down the middle that act like a sta, can I get by with using a wing that doesn't have that?

Am really leaning towards the new model DR travel wing with the grommets if it will work with the plate and can sell off my transpac and other wings.

Seems like it shouldn't be a problem and am thinking that the only reason oxycheq states that you need their wing with it is simply another way for them to make more money.

I would guess Oxycheq does not make a stay for their plate because their wings don't need one so you would have to make one yourself. Not saying that another wing would let the tank slip but it could. A fix on the new wing would be to sew a set of tabs on the new wing, an upholsterer or sailmaker could do that if you couldn't.

Bob
--------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I use the Oxycheq UL (soft) plate with their 18# travel wing for warm water dives. It is not a solid as a metal plate but works quite well. I suspect your DR wing will work OK even without an STA if you can get the wing to stay in place as you fasten the tank straps. The straps will hold the tank fast to the plate since the plate attachment is just a heavy piece of 2" webbing. The built in STA on the Oxycheq wing come into play more when you mount it on a metal plate.

BTW, the 18# wing is pretty compact yet more than enough for warm water diving.

Back
Top Bottom