USS Copenhagen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is the USS Copenhagen a shore dive? I can't seem to find any real hard proof that it is. If so how are is it off shore?

Thanks

Most people would not attempt it from the shore....about 1/3 mile out and another 1/3 back in a popular boating area.

Some of the divers at Gold Coast scuba club dive it as a shore dive and told me it takes about 30 minutes to swim to the wreck. I dove it from a boat a few weeks ago and it looked like a fair swim out the site: maybe twice as far as the nearby pier. It is doable, just realize you'll have a long surface swim.

Not sure how accurate my chart is but it looks to be over .4 miles
almost .5 miles to where they show the wreck. Getting out to the
inside edge of the first reef down near the pier looks to be about .3 miles.
They show the wreck located near the outside edge of this reef. I kayaked
to the pompano drop off mooring balls and it was a bit of a paddle and a
distance I would not consider kicking out to for a shore dive.

It's a beautiful dive with friends on the right day and I've had a lot of fun there. I've done this dive with GCS several times...they worked a deal with Sea Watch restaurant to let us park in their back lot and enter there (though it was off-season for the tourist trade - don't know how accommodating they'd be during the busier times). After the dive we rinsed off, put on dry clothes, and had lunch. I guess it was worthwhile to them to get reservations for a dozen people or so.

When the current isn't running hard, it's about a half hour swim out to drop, and dive...we came back partway under water then had a much shorter surface swim home. We were in a fairly good sized group with flags for every few divers, so the boat traffic did steer clear of us while we were together (except for one annoying kid on a jetski).

One discussion we've had is when there IS a ripping northbound current, to drift dive from just north of the pier at LBTS to the reef by the Hall of Fame mooring balls, and then north to the Copenhagen before coming in. (We haven't tried that one yet).

I know others have scootered out and back. As I recall, the depth was around 25 - 30 feet.

It's a long surface swim but with a group isn't too bad. If you really want to try it as a shore dive, watch the GCS site for when they plan the next one and come along. If not, then I know some have booked South Florida Diving Headquarters to dive the Copenhagen.

Some of the divers at Gold Coast scuba club dive it as a shore dive and told me it takes about 30 minutes to swim to the wreck. I dove it from a boat a few weeks ago and it looked like a fair swim out the site: maybe twice as far as the nearby pier. It is doable, just realize you'll have a long surface swim.

well your right to the divers that don't really shore dives , it can feel like a long swim
,but u have to remember the above dive group does this type of shore dive every day / week-end .we dive to the Mooring ball/ pompano drop off all the time .The actually swim is about 30 minutes and it's about 1/4 mile out .or 2 - 3 pier lenghts .For us this is a normal week-end /day swim, Never say it's a big surface swim , it's a enjoyable surface swim with the right people .Gold coast suba is the right Place to do these type of dives because every member is capable to swim the distance .Check out the link
Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup
Join us one week-end .and do the swim .

It's a beautiful dive with friends on the right day and I've had a lot of fun there. I've done this dive with GCS several times...they worked a deal with Sea Watch restaurant to let us park in their back lot and enter there (though it was off-season for the tourist trade - don't know how accommodating they'd be during the busier times). After the dive we rinsed off, put on dry clothes, and had lunch. I guess it was worthwhile to them to get reservations for a dozen people or so.

When the current isn't running hard, it's about a half hour swim out to drop, and dive...we came back partway under water then had a much shorter surface swim home. We were in a fairly good sized group with flags for every few divers, so the boat traffic did steer clear of us while we were together (except for one annoying kid on a jetski).

One discussion we've had is when there IS a ripping northbound current, to drift dive from just north of the pier at LBTS to the reef by the Hall of Fame mooring balls, and then north to the Copenhagen before coming in. (We haven't tried that one yet).

I know others have scootered out and back. As I recall, the depth was around 25 - 30 feet.

It's a long surface swim but with a group isn't too bad. If you really want to try it as a shore dive, watch the GCS site for when they plan the next one and come along. If not, then I know some have booked South Florida Diving Headquarters to dive the Copenhagen.

The above is all true , watch our meetup for this dive ,this is something we don't do all the time , not because of the swim ,but for parking reasons .Parking is a issue .The dive/swim is great .The site is front of the Sea Watch restaurant ,from the beach straight in front of the restaurant head east to mooring balls between 3 & 4 ,Parking is horrible , no public parking but public entrance to beach , Sometimes you park at the church with permissions and leave a donation .Or dive early & ask the valet (restaurant) if u can park and dive show them $ .That works .Read the Gold Coast message board .Join us any time for a shore dive We having a large meetup this week-end LBTS , some divers will stay close while other will be heading out to the mooring balls (we are a mixed group ) experience / newbies , we all dive together

Shipwrecks in the Local Area

A half mile swim to dive isn't bad if you pace yourself and are honest with yourself about your abilities. The boats would scare the crap out of me, you've seen pictures of manatees.

Bob
----------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

Bob , Not sure if u were joking about the above or serious , but your right , Boats are there and most of the time they don't see you . Every 3 divers need a flag (Not like it's going to help )
Your more of a target with a flag :shocked2: But again u can be hit with a car crossing the street .
That why we dive in groups .You must listen & watch on the surface and below .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom