Best Vis in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tac747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know conditions change daily and sometimes hourly but statistically speaking, what are the best months for vis in Monterey. Thanks TAC

Fall and early Winter before the storms hit hard seem to be best.

Late Spring and early Summer seem to often get "blooms" of algae and associated plankton that create a murky layer that is no fun to dive in. Seems like the blooms are worse in Monterey compared to Carmel

-Ken L

Well all I can tell you is I did some dives in Monterey December and January with great visibility over 70ft. Two weeks ago I hit the same locations in Monterey with under 10ft. vis.

Thanks all. I was there for my OW check out dives on the 19/20 march and everyone was talking about when they were there in feb with 40' vis. We then had 3-5 sat and maybe 5-10 sunday. I was just curious if it gets better or worse in the summer.

The amazing vis in Feb was the weekend of Feb 12th. It was my first dive after my certification, and we did Otter Cove. 30 - 40ft vis, with about 10 seals circling us. Best vis I've seen so far. There's been a few 20ft or so at Lovers Point, which I think has the best chance of having good vis because it's protected, especially if you head to the right from the beach of Lovers 1 where you get the all the orange sea weed covering everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom