Inserting a Camera into housing using #5510.11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glfmkg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

The Superwide Body #5510.11 manual says that after installing the Dome on the housing check to see that the o-ring is properly sealed. Fair... now would this mean that the camera then needs to be inserted into the housing with the lens on?

I tried to do it this way and I couldn't get the lens zoom clamp to slide into the gear sleeve easily. :shocked2:

What's the proper way to insert the camera into the housing using a 8 inch dome with the Superwide Body 5510.11? and if the correct way is to insert it with the lens, then any tips to make it slide into the zoom gear sleeve.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Guillermo

When using my 12-24 wide angle I have to put the camera body in the housing, install the lens with gear sleeve from the dome port side, and then install the dome.

Thanks. So... how do you check that the dome o-ring is properly seated?

I hate to say it, but basically this is the best way. It can be a little hard to see, but you can still see if the o-ring is on correctly. Also, I know how the dome feels when it is on correctly (there is a little play until compressed by water pressure), so I also gently rotate/rock the dome a little to make sure it feels right.

I hate to say it, but basically this is the best way. It can be a little hard to see, but you can still see if the o-ring is on correctly. Also, I know how the dome feels when it is on correctly (there is a little play until compressed by water pressure), so I also gently rotate/rock the dome a little to make sure it feels right.

As far as I know it is the only way to check the oring unless you have a vacuum system installed. :idk:

Guillermo,

Most shooters find it easier to install the camera and lens into the housing, then attach the zoom clamp and sleeve, and finally the port. You may need to remove the lens, attaching the zoom clamp and sleeve from the back side of the lens. Then, re-attach the lens to the camera body with the clamp and sleeve installed. Make sure the gear sleeve teeth mesh properly with the little black housing zoom gear, then install port and check zoom function.
The port should install easily if the port o-ring is "lightly" lubricated.
It takes a little practice, but you can check the port o-ring seal by facing the front of the housing away from you and rotating the housing 360 degrees. While slowly rotating the housing, look through the side of the front housing section where the housing front and sides connect. An easy way to spot the o-ring location is to move the port body in and out of it's seated position on the housing front before assembly.
I hope this explanation has not been too confusing.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom