DIR setup critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well as I mentioned in my intro post, I've been diving for about 2 years now with my adv open water,I just graduated from uni and moved back home. I dove with some dir and tech guys and tried their setups, now i want to switch my gear over to a DIR set up. I had already switched to a 5 foot hose with backup reg around my neck, so the transition to true DIR wont be much of a change.

However most of the gear I had purchased when I started diving in mexico was pretty cheap, my jacket bcd is too big now, lost some weight, so im looking to upgrade to a mostly complete single tank DIR set up. Idealy this setup will be used in tropics (SE asia where i plan to go live for a year or so) and then by switching to a SS backplate, some extra weight and a drysuit be usable in the fridged north atlantic.

Then when the time comes that im ready to do tech, add a doubles wing, extra regs as needed for second tank, deco/stage bottles, ect.

For the BP/W im looking at a halcyon eclipse with alum backlate and 30 lbs wing

As for regs im looking for something for the cold north atlantic and for warm water. Im assuming cold water 1st and 2nds work just as well in warm water? If so I was looking at the Hog D1 cold water 1st, but havnt decided on which regs to pair up as by 2nd stages. 7 foot hose for my primary of course.

Ill need to research computers first, i dont think there is any need to jump on a computer that can do trimix and do my taxes before i actually NEED a computer that can do that. I'm thinking I'll just get a nitrox computer for now and when I decide to do tech next year ill pick up one capable, or wait untill the instructor recomends what to get.

Planning on skipping on the canister light untill I'm actually ready to take an intro tech course.

Already have a wrist compass and single SPG which was cliped low to my BCD, as I HATED the console from day 1.

Bought a new mask and fins, atomic framless and F1's.

So, any suggestions for my setup? Opinions? Thanks in advance

PS: I dont know DIR/Tech people in my area, hence why im asking here

Sounds like a pretty solid setup. The only thing you don't need is a computer. A cheap Uwatec bottom timer (Digital Depth Gauge) is all you need for DIR diving. Use the money you saved to go diving!

For the regs, many use Apeks or Scubapro (I'm a scubapro guy, personally), but I've heard good stuff about HOG. A balanced adjustable is the move for your primary, but stick with a simple non balanced reg for your backup.

Good luck!

If you are going to be diving where you use no exposure protection at all, the Al plate is probably a reasonable idea. If you are using any neoprene, though, and aluminum tanks, the steel plate will work nicely, and save you from buying another one when you return to cold water.

As far as computers go, if you are going to go full DIR, you will not need one. In that case, a simple bottom timer will suffice -- but the OMS bottom timers aren't cheap. Honestly, if you shop around, you may well be able to pick up an Aladin Tech 2G computer for what the OMS bottom timer would run you. If you still feel better with a computer's guidance, that's a good choice -- it's a computer with a lot of useful features, and a gauge mode when you decide you don't need the decompression algorithm any more. Or, of course, you could go for the Cadillac of bottom timers, and get a Xen . . .

Ben points out that a good set of paddle fins is another purchase. The Jets are wonderful, but if you are going to be diving warm water, you may not want anything that negative. A lot of folks are using the OMS Slipstreams, and I have the Dive Rite EXP fins, which I like a lot, and which are not negative.

As you have already observed, an optimal setup for warm water diving, and an optimal setup for cold water, are sufficiently different to deserve a couple of dedicated purchases.

If you are going to be diving where you use no exposure protection at all, the Al plate is probably a reasonable idea. If you are using any neoprene, though, and aluminum tanks, the steel plate will work nicely, and save you from buying another one when you return to cold water.

As far as computers go, if you are going to go full DIR, you will not need one. In that case, a simple bottom timer will suffice -- but the OMS bottom timers aren't cheap. Honestly, if you shop around, you may well be able to pick up an Aladin Tech 2G computer for what the OMS bottom timer would run you. If you still feel better with a computer's guidance, that's a good choice -- it's a computer with a lot of useful features, and a gauge mode when you decide you don't need the decompression algorithm any more. Or, of course, you could go for the Cadillac of bottom timers, and get a Xen . . .

Ben points out that a good set of paddle fins is another purchase. The Jets are wonderful, but if you are going to be diving warm water, you may not want anything that negative. A lot of folks are using the OMS Slipstreams, and I have the Dive Rite EXP fins, which I like a lot, and which are not negative.

As you have already observed, an optimal setup for warm water diving, and an optimal setup for cold water, are sufficiently different to deserve a couple of dedicated purchases.

I was looking at water temps in SE Asia and assumed i wouldn't have to wear any neoprene, which is why i was debating getting the AL plate first and getting a SS platen when (if) i ever come back to Canada! However maybe I should ask around and see if people use wetsuits in water that warm!

Ill start looking for a bottom timer, that xen certainly is pretty!

I knew the setups wouldn't be the same, just a little different than I expected. Besides weight required for different exposure suits I assumed the regs would be my biggest problem!

Thanks for the input

Harv Morash from Louisbourg. DIR, tech, instructor and as squared away as you will ever find.

Louisbourg Scuba Diving Services

My biggest problem is im leaving the province again on wednesday and I wont even get a chance to get to see him, Not sure when ill be back!

I might drop him an email though! thanks!

What I found was that, whatever exposure protection I wore in the water, once I got out and the wind hit me, I would shiver. What that eventually told me was that I was losing more core heat during the dive than I realized. The more exposure protection I wore, the happier I was; I eventually ended up where I am now, which is diving dry everywhere. My week-long Red Sea trip, in 81 degree water, was MUCH happier in a dry suit. I watched the other folks on the boat get back on board and scuttle around, wrapped in towels and desperate for a warm drink. I, on the other hand, would unzip my dry suit and step out, take off my fleece undies, and look for a Coke in my shorts and t-shirt.

Your mileage may vary, but it's hard to be TOO warm on a dive. Before, yes and after, perhaps (though when wet, I doubt it).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom