Best dive op near Key Largo for OW certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchiapetto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have only been diving for 5 years and have fallen in love with it. This summer we will have our 15 year old grand-daughter with us and we will be introducing her to the world of diving. Our plan is to have her do her classroom work in Colorado and then we will all head to the Key Largo area where she can complete her OW certification.

We are looking for recommendations on who is really good with helping a new diver complete their certification. Especially someone who would be good with a teenage girl. And of course we especially want someone who will be extra good to our precious grand-daughter.

Thanks is advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Mike and Debra (aka Grandpa and Memere) :)

Mike / Debra,

There's lots of shop in and around Key Largo who would fit this bill and take good care of you and your granddaughter. And the SBer's here will give you their reasons why they like one operator or another.

My suggestion is to call around to a few and talk with them about what your needs are. From those conversations pick an operator that best answers your question and concerns. Also be sure to ask about lodging as most operators work with hotels/motels/condo to offer a better than advertised price. And whoever you pick, if you have any questions I might be able to help, with don't hesitate to ask.

Being a grand-parent is the best and I personally understand your concerns. When my grand-daughter wanted to get certified, I of course chose Papa Gary(aka Capt Gary) to certify her. It's really great having family that also enjoys our passions and I know exactly how you feel.

Enjoy your trip and introducing your grand-daughter to the world where God shows off.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary (aka Papa Gary)

I dove with Conch Republic Divers during 2 separate vacations and have nothing but good, if not great things to say about them. During the total of 20 or so dives with them, I witnessed their instructors work with new OW students and AOW students. I am not sure you can find anyone better in that area. Whether you go with Jay or Daniel as instructors you will be happy. They are very professional and have great personalities which is often half the battle with training.

This of course if my personal opinion based on direct experience with this dive operator. It is always nice when you walk out of the shop and right onto the boat 10' away from the door too. They have 2 great vessels which I dove from. I hope this helps.

Conch Republic is a good outfit, and the fact that Captain Gary understands what it is like to train a grandchild would seal the deal for me.

I used some of the guides/DMs at Conch Republic as my teenage age daughter was starting to make some deeper dives (50 to 100) - They did a good job. Wish I could remember their names. Will try to look them up tonight in my log.

Conch Republic is a good outfit, and the fact that Captain Gary understands what it is like to train a grandchild would seal the deal for me.

I used some of the guides/DMs at Conch Republic as my teenage age daughter was starting to make some deeper dives (50 to 100) - They did a good job. Wish I could remember their names. Will try to look them up tonight in my log.
Ditto :wink:

Conch Republic is a first class operation and I would recommend them also!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be in Miami in 2 weeks for a work trip and will be staying over one extra day on May 28 so I can visit some of the dive ops near Key Largo to see what my impressions are. I will definitely be visiting with Capt Gary and the folks at Conch Republic.
Thanks again,
Mike

We are going to be diving with Key Largo Scuba Shack in june... we had and AOW class planned for our newest diver.
They seemed very eager to help in any way with her cert and still be able to please us.
They are a 6 pack boat with DM in water for all dives and are getting great reviews..You might want to check them out!

Hi this is Kim from Key Largo Scuba Shack. Thanks Lynn! I just wanted to let you know we are a small operation that only runs six pack boats so all students and divers alike get plenty of personal attention. All of our instructors are very patient and understanding with new divers and have been teaching for years. They do everything possible to make an Open Water students dive as pleasant as it can be so that the student falls in love with diving as much as they have. After all most people will never want to dive again if they have a horrible first experience. Any of us here at the shack would love to chat and answer any questions you might have, so feel free to give us a call at the shop or send us an email. Its info@keylargoscubashack.com

+1 for Scuba Shack. They provide a great experience. Owner/operators are a pleasure to dive with. Great staff. They put a Dive Master in the water on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom