Do you think communication devices can save lifes underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmansur

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Do you think the use of communication devices underwater could increase the safety of the divers? Many fatalities could be avoided if divers were able to communicate their problems, even if the buddy can´t see him.

If you agree, why don´t you use communication devices underwater? Because of the price? Or the need to wear a full face mask?

If you use it, what are your impressions? Does it really worth the money?

I´d like to hear opinions about that.

Regards

Fábio

No, I have already read it, but it was some months ago. In fact I read it twice and loved it, but it´s not the reason why I´m making this question.

What do you think about this subject?

Regards

Fábio

Actually I have no comment at all on the issue.

I was just curious as to where the question came from, as Bernie talked about it in his book.

fmansur once bubbled... Do you think the use of communication devices underwater could increase the safety of the divers?
Probably not. There are only so many things that can be done underwater to save someone and talking about it isn't very likely to help.
fmansur once bubbled... Many fatalities could be avoided if divers were able to communicate their problems, even if the buddy can´t see him.
My guess it that we would actually kill more as it would lead to more buddy teams getting out of sight of each other.

fmansur once bubbled...
Hello,

Do you think the use of communication devices underwater could increase the safety of the divers? Many fatalities could be avoided if divers were able to communicate their problems, even if the buddy can´t see him.

If you agree, why don´t you use communication devices underwater? Because of the price? Or the need to wear a full face mask?

If you use it, what are your impressions? Does it really worth the money?

I´d like to hear opinions about that.

Regards

Fábio

Underwater coms require full face masks which add a whole other set of problems.

In situations where a diver needs to boat to be alerted to a situation so they can send help, provide addition gas, etc., it would be beneficial to have communications.

In situations where people begin to rely on the comm part and push the limits farther (after all, you can always call the mother ship, right?) it may do more harm than good.

A tool is sometimes good, and sometimes bad...Its up to smart folks to determine which is which.

fmansur once bubbled...
Hello,

First point is;
Having first hand experienced a married couple who only stopped arguing once under the water. I would have to say that if they had underwater comms they would have killed each other had the argument been allowed to continue under the water. So in the interest of reducing domestic homicides, I would have to vote NO to underwater comms for all rec divers.

Secondly;
If everyone were required to use underwater comms, I would be forced to ignore the rule. The last thing I want to hear under the water is a pair of self-absorbed jerks babbling incessantly, disturbing the tranquil bliss of my dive. Far too many underwater tillers plowing up the bottom will see this as just one more neat gadget to hang off the wagon train as they waddle into the water.

And finally;
Hand signals are just fine for me. As for helping your buddy faster; if divers are not next to their buddies, as they should be, what make anyone think that a comms system will guide them to each other? It won’t. All they’ll know is that their buddy is in trouble, is going to die, and its their poor buddy skills that are making this all possible. Widespread proliferation of underwater comms in the recreational diving community will only heighten bad diving practices by being used as a substitute for good buddy skills, costing more lives in the end.

Twenty years from now UW communications will quite likely be standard. Some will use it wisely. Most won't.

Currently the technology is bulky, problematic, and expensive. This will change.

There is no doubt that under some circumstances, particularly of the "Houston, we've got a problem" variety, it might save some lives. I suspect its more likely that it will be used for mundane "look at the fish"-type comments far more frequently.

Perhaps you ought to be grateful that you live in an era when diving remains relatively quiet and peaceful! :)

:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom