Deerfield Beach, FL - Dixie Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am going to be in Deerfield Beach, FL this weekend April 29th-May 2nd so I scheduled an afternoon dive with Dixie Divers.

They're going to be diving the Captain Dan and Qualmann Tugs.

Has anyone dove these wrecks before or used Dixie Divers? Any recommendations? I know this is a very broad question.

I'm going to be diving them on Nitrox.

I've never done in this area before so it will be a nice change of scenery. Also, any good shore diving in the area? I wouldn't mind diving Sunday too possibly.

Most of the dive shops use independently operated dive boats for their trips, which is different from a lot of other places in florida where the shop often has its own boat. If you find our what boat they are using that might be more helpful.

For a shore dive, the Blue Heron Bridge is a must. It is about 45 minutes north of the Boynton area. It is one of the best shallow water dives in the state for interesting marine life. It is also sheltered because it is in the bay, so it is diveable any day regardless of how rough the ocean might be. The dive is at a public park where you just park your car, gear up, and wade right in on a gentle sandy beach--sweet! The depth is six (yes, six) to about 18 feet max, but it is a scuba dive because you need to stay down to see the interesting macro critters. Good bouyancy control and horizontal trim are an absolute must, practice if necessary, because you need to stay off the bottom and not kick it up. It is a dive only for 1 hour before to about 1/2 hour after a high tide, when the water is usually clear (the bridge is right near an ocean inlet). Check the tides for Port of Palm Beach.

On Sunday, the high tide is pretty early in the morning (about 7:45) and not the best time for diving, but certainly do-able if you want. A better bet would be a Sunday night dive on the 8:30 pm tide (my wife and I will be doing that one). if you like night diving this can be a real treat. There is a dive shop, Force-E, right before the bridge, that sponsors the night dive (you need a permit to be in the park after dark) at NO CHARGE, which is really nice of them. You need to call them ahead and go by the shop to sign up so you can be on their permit. They can also rent gear if you need it. They are literally 1/2 mile from the park.

If you have time on Monday, the high tide is 8:30 am which is ideal, and my wife and I plan to be there as well. For the morning, we will be in the water about 7:45 and out by 9:30 or so.

Have fun! Maybe we will see you.

Dixie Divers uses a boat called the Lady Go Diver. It is a pretty large boat that can handle a lot of passengers. They leave from a park next to the draw bridge on Hillsboro Avenue.

The only real drawback to them is that if they don't have enough divers (which can happen if you are diving on Friday especially), they will cancel the trip. If you aren't sure there will be enough people to run the trip, you might want to have backup plans in case that happens.

If you have not dived this area before, a lot of the protocols are different from what you may have encountered in other areas. Many and perhaps most of the people who dive on these boats are local and have their own gear, including tanks and weights. If you are used to places where you just show up at the boat for your tanks, you may be surprised to be renting them at the shop ahead of time. As for weights, I guess maybe it is because so many of their customers bring their own, but there is not a great supply or variety of sizes on that boat. If you need to use the weights on the boat, get on board early and get them right away.

The usual DM is very friendly, amusing, and helpful. I think he does a very good job.

Dixie Divers uses a boat called the Lady Go Diver. It is a pretty large boat that can handle a lot of passengers. They leave from a park next to the draw bridge on Hillsboro Avenue.

The only real drawback to them is that if they don't have enough divers (which can happen if you are diving on Friday especially), they will cancel the trip. If you aren't sure there will be enough people to run the trip, you might want to have backup plans in case that happens.

If you have not dived this area before, a lot of the protocols are different from what you may have encountered in other areas. Many and perhaps most of the people who dive on these boats are local and have their own gear, including tanks and weights. If you are used to places where you just show up at the boat for your tanks, you may be surprised to be renting them at the shop ahead of time. As for weights, I guess maybe it is because so many of their customers bring their own, but there is not a great supply or variety of sizes on that boat. If you need to use the weights on the boat, get on board early and get them right away.

The usual DM is very friendly, amusing, and helpful. I think he does a very good job.

Thanks John; Great information.

I spoke to the shop and I think they said there are 8 people going out. I will check in with them Friday to make sure the plan stays the same. The trip I am going on is Saturday afternoon.

I am bringing my equipment, renting tanks at the shop and diving with a SS BP so weight shouldn't be a problem as I don't need any when diving in warm water usually.

I mostly dive in the Boston/New England area so the diving protocols sound similar in regards to equipment.

For a shore dive, the Blue Heron Bridge is a must. It is about 45 minutes north of the Boynton area. It is one of the best shallow water dives in the state for interesting marine life. It is also sheltered because it is in the bay, so it is diveable any day regardless of how rough the ocean might be. The dive is at a public park where you just park your car, gear up, and wade right in on a gentle sandy beach--sweet! The depth is six (yes, six) to about 18 feet max, but it is a scuba dive because you need to stay down to see the interesting macro critters. Good bouyancy control and horizontal trim are an absolute must, practice if necessary, because you need to stay off the bottom and not kick it up. It is a dive only for 1 hour before to about 1/2 hour after a high tide, when the water is usually clear (the bridge is right near an ocean inlet). Check the tides for Port of Palm Beach.

On Sunday, the high tide is pretty early in the morning (about 7:45) and not the best time for diving, but certainly do-able if you want. A better bet would be a Sunday night dive on the 8:30 pm tide (my wife and I will be doing that one). if you like night diving this can be a real treat. There is a dive shop, Force-E, right before the bridge, that sponsors the night dive (you need a permit to be in the park after dark) at NO CHARGE, which is really nice of them. You need to call them ahead and go by the shop to sign up so you can be on their permit. They can also rent gear if you need it. They are literally 1/2 mile from the park.

If you have time on Monday, the high tide is 8:30 am which is ideal, and my wife and I plan to be there as well. For the morning, we will be in the water about 7:45 and out by 9:30 or so.

Have fun! Maybe we will see you.

Thanks I will do more research on diving the Blue Heron Bridge. Unfortunately I am flying out Monday afternoon so no time to do any diving Sunday night or Monday morning but maybe next time.

Thanks I will do more research on diving the Blue Heron Bridge. Unfortunately I am flying out Monday afternoon so no time to do any diving Sunday night or Monday morning but maybe next time.

That is an unacceptable response. There is *far* more than enough time between Sunday night and Monday afternoon. A night dive at the BHB would be the highlight of yer trip - if not yer life! The whole dive is a "safety stop". Even if it causes you to miss a meal, you *need* to do the dive. :D

Kevin
who has yet to experience a BHB night dive :depressed:

Dixie Divers owns the Lady Go Diver.
The Captain Dan wreck is in ~110' and is a former Coast Guard Buoy Tender that is about 220' LOA. She's fairly intact and has been down for a while with a fair amount of growth as well as some beginner level penetration opportunities (where you can see the opening on the other side). Standard protocol is for the DM to tie-in to the wreck and untie when everyone is finished.

The Qualmann tugs site is usually done as a drift dive with groups towing flags. They are in about 75-80' and are fairly small and broken down. If you swim east from the wrecks, you'll swim to the reefs in 60' and you can follow them up to about 45'. Kinda cool because you can do the wrecks and the reef on the same dive.

Force E is havig a night dive there on Sunday

Do I need to do anything special to get involved in this? Call the shop and get a permit?

I might try to do the night dive but I'm about 45 minutes away from the area. I dont know if i can confirm my girlfriend and her friend to let me borrow their rental car on Sunday to get there :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom