Ultralight generic tray vs. Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
These are each about $100 all said and done. I have a Canon housing for an A640, and the Ikelite tray comes with a little piece to wrap around the base to keep the camera from rotating side to side. The Ultralight just screws in really tight.

The Utralight gets good reviews, but I want to make sure the camera isn't going to be getting loose all of the time. Can anyone offer feedback?

You need to be a little more descriptive of where you're headed with this. Are you getting a tray and handle just to support the Canon housing? Are you wanting to mount a strobe? A focus light? Extra lenses? Is it for frequent usage or vacation diving 3 or 4 times a year?

Also which ULCS tray are you looking at? The basic one does have a lip to prevent rotation ULCS TR-D Digital Tray [ulc.tr.d] - $39.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros. Have you considered Modular Set 1 - Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!. It's what I use on my semiannual jaunts and they feel solid and are considerably less expensive than ULCS systems so for the occasional user, they are a pretty good deal.

Doing further research, I zoomed in to a photo and did notice the lip on the digital tray.

I'll be using this all the time :) Few times a month. Of course mounting a strobe, who uses a tray without a strobe? And focus light will be a handheld can light.

I need the tray by this friday, and can get either of those two locally. I like the ULCS but the sales lady didn't mention that lip and I hadn't noticed it in photos, which is why I asked.

I would probably go with the UCLS but the Ikelite works fine too. The Ikelite will not directly mount the Canon housing. The Canon housings have one 1/4X20 tripod screw hole and the Ikelite is intended for number 12 screws used on most Ikelite compact housings. The UCLS has a slotted bottom and the "lip" which may make it more easily adaptable to the Canon housing. Me, I would purchase the Inon lens mount which converts the Canon housing to two attach screws and of course can accept various lenses to some good and use it with the UCLS tray or Inon Grip II.

N

Back
Top Bottom