Hypothetical: Buying without diving it first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the market for a new bc. Now obviously I'd want to try it in at least a swimming pool before handing over the money, but let's suppose for a moment that I couldn't for some reason. For a new OW student buying gear before their class, this might be reality, not hypothetical. What should I look for to have an idea if the bc is going to work well for me in the water? Is there anything that should make me put the bc back on the rack and not give it a trial dive, even though it fits on land?

Does it have a stainless steel plate attached to the wing? If so sure go ahead and buy it. You can't go wrong with a BP/W for cold water diving :D

I should have expected something like that. :D Now that Peter_C has completely answered the question as far as BP/Ws go, any responses pertaining to jackets and jacket-style back inflates? (nothing against bp/w, just want the WHOLE picture)

The features the BC has is not nearly as important as how it will fit and in the future be adaptable to the diving you do. Myself I like a basic BC with a few features if I can't dive my BPW. I want two or three D Rings. More than 4 is overkill. If it has pockets they need to be set up so that I can actually reach into them without dislocating something. Integrated weights are not necessary but if it has them they need to be secure, easily ditched, and easy for a buddy to ditch! I also do not want to pay more than 350 bucks for it. Those requirements are why I sell the ones I do. They meet all of those.

If at all possible, at least try the BC over the exposure protection you intend to wear, and with a tank installed. You want to be sure the BC will hold the tank stationary on your back, and you need to be quite sure that the adjusting straps will permit you to get a good, TIGHT fit over your exposure protection.

Try to access any pockets or functions with the tank on, and preferably with gloves if you are going to use them. (Pockets are often put in awkward places or are difficult to open with gloves.)

And Peter C has it right . . . :)

can't say I've ever tried any gear I've bought and dove it... All of it has been sight unseen or at least not dove. Buying used wings I made sure they didn't leak by inflating and doing a bubble check, but that was it. If you're good, it shouldn't matter, especially with jacket bc's, they all work about the same anyway. With the wings it's all still about the same and as long as it isn't too big then you're usually fine. If you're diving local in Canada, you will probably want a SS backplate to get rid of some weight on your belt. Then, well, they're all pretty much the same too, so it doesn't really matter...

When the dive shop hands you a BC that smells like chlorine (or quarry or whatever) and has water spots and a few dings on it from the last guy who took it for a test drive, are you going to happily pay full retail for it? Usually not, which illustrates the conundrum the dive shop faces.

If it's your first BC purchase, go diving with a few different rental models. You'll have a chance to learn about different styles, features, usage and manufacturers. That information should be enough to give you a pretty good idea about what you want, don't want and which manufacturers (and stores) you're comfortable with. The it's time to make a not-so giant stride of faith.

Or you could make life easy on yourself and buy a backplate and donut and instantly be one of the cool kids.:D

Why would an OW student be buying gears before knowing that he or she would pass the course? That's like putting the cart before the horse.

As far as how to determine which BC to buy nowadays, it's pretty simple FOR ME. I can't dictate how others will do it, but for me it has to be a BPW. Then it will have to be either Dive Rite or Halcyon. Though I don't think that I'll be buying any more BCs soon. Three BCs are more than one man would need.

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm looking forward to more. Some good points have been brought up. I guess my first order of business is to find out if the LDS I'm doing my Rescue class with has a back inflate (any back inflate) to try out during one of the pool sessions. (So far I've been using their rental AL Pro LT's which are fine but not what I want.) Then if I like it I'll have to see how streamlined/minimalist I want to go. I'm currently looking at a Zeagle, but a bp/w is not out of the question.

Why would an OW student be buying gears before knowing that he or she would pass the course? That's like putting the cart before the horse.

I didn't say they should or shouldn't, just that some do.

Obviously find a place that has a healthy return policy if you're not satisfied, at least before you put it in the water. There are so many different BCs that are in themselves extremely similar, it is almost pointless recommending a specific model. You probably can't go wrong with most any back float BC on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom