Visiting Montreal on May 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiveupstove

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Montreal May 15 (and a few days afterwards). Are there any recommended dives closer to the city without having to make it all the way out to Brockville? I see Kahnawake quarry mentioned in a few places, are there any other recommendations?

There's not that much very close to Mtl... there's the quary (Carriere Kahnawake - Scubapedia) and the closest interesting thing, would be in St-Zotique (need a charter, not sure when they start going). The wrecks in Ontario are more interesting IMHO, and going to Prescott/Cardinal/Brockville is a very doable daytrip from Mtl.

...another fun thing, you need a "special" card to dive in Qc, because we like to do things differently around here :wink:. There's a visitor version of it you have experience in similar conditions (cold water, bad vis). It's not necessary to rent equipment though and not needed for Ontario.

There's not that much very close to Mtl... there's the quary (Carriere Kahnawake - Scubapedia) and the closest interesting thing, would be in St-Zotique (need a charter, not sure when they start going). The wrecks in Ontario are more interesting IMHO, and going to Prescott/Cardinal/Brockville is a very doable daytrip from Mtl.

...another fun thing, you need a "special" card to dive in Qc, because we like to do things differently around here :wink:. There's a visitor version of it you have experience in similar conditions (cold water, bad vis). It's not necessary to rent equipment though and not needed for Ontario.

What special card do you need? My wife and I are actually going to be in Montreal next week, and I was hoping to sneak in a dive while she had her back turned. I usually dive on the north shore of Massachusetts and I'm pretty sure the conditions are just about as bad down here. It's cold, currently "warmed up" to about 45 F and the visibility is usually pretty bad.

Kristopher

What special card do you need? My wife and I are actually going to be in Montreal next week, and I was hoping to sneak in a dive while she had her back turned. I usually dive on the north shore of Massachusetts and I'm pretty sure the conditions are just about as bad down here. It's cold, currently "warmed up" to about 45 F and the visibility is usually pretty bad.

The law on recreational activities in the province dictates that you need a certificate issued by the designated organism (the FQAS right now) to dive in the province (unless you're taking a class). You can have the certificate (the card) issued with your logbook if you have dives requiring a full suit + gloves + hood.

It's mostly checked on charters, at the FQAS site at Les Escoumins and at sites necessitating you to pay (although the owners of the site are not liable for an infraction committed by a diver so some places don't seem to check). If your plan is to go on a charter, better to contact them before to inquire, with your dive experience it shouldn't be an issue you've had it just as bad as it gets here. If the dive you're planning is from the shore or in Ontario it shouldn't be an issue, no need for the card to rent equipment and that law is only in Quebec.

I'd throw a website at you but it's still all in french.

Where were you planning to dive? Quary? St-Zotique? Lake? The St-Lawrence in Ontario? (that might be a bit too far for "sneaking")

The St-Lawrence wrecks are nice. It's a 2h drive from Montreal, but most Scuba activities can't be done easily like in and out.

If you have a day to spend. Do it in the St-Lawrence. There are some cool wreck available from the shore. Or some drift dives like the Locks 21, 22, 23

Also the towns and the surrounding area is mostly rural so it's nice if you go with other people and have "relaxed" day.

There is one very close dive to do near Mtl in Canal de Soulanges (about 45mins drive). It is not deep (about 20' at the very very deeper) but there are a lot of fishes, the visibility is usually pretty good. The water is cold (about 40F last week) (Canal Soulange, parc des ancres - Scubapedia) the site is all in French but it can be usefull to you nonetheless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom