Am I CHEAP or efficient?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbriscoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any common-sensical home grown solutions to clean out our BC, wet suits, and de-fog our masks?
Come back..
-Boy in Lubbock

This was asked earlier but here goes-

BC- wetsuits can be cleaned with any non-bleach containing laundry detergent

De-fog- dilute some no more tears baby shampoo

And to keep you from having bad breath when you breath out of your BC, a teaspoon of mouthwash inside the BC keeps it from growing all sorts of nasty things inside.....and it smells minty fresh!

japan-diver once bubbled...

De-fog- dilute some no more tears baby shampoo
50/50 would be the diluting solution

herman once bubbled...
And to keep you from having bad breath when you breath out of your BC, a teaspoon of mouthwash inside the BC keeps it from growing all sorts of nasty things inside.....and it smells minty fresh!

Maybe I didn't take the right courses.. or something. But, when do you "breathe out of your BC"??

I've heard of breathing out of your BC in a bad Out of Air Situation.. but if that happened, I wouldn't be worrying how my breath smelled. :D

I graduated from "spit" to toothpaste back in the 80's. Later I tried several of the commercial defog products. For the past 10 years or so, I have returned to toothpaste. It is the least expensive and most efficient defog I have found. i use whatever is on sale, and often a dollar tube will last a year.

tbriscoe once bubbled...
Are there any common-sensical home grown solutions to clean out our BC, wet suits, and de-fog our masks?
Come back..
-Boy in Lubbock

I used to use detergent (fabric softener) on wetsuit, but found that some can cause wet suit to delaminate (outer fabric peels away from neopreme). Since then I've been using the comercial "wet suit" shampoo. A $4 bottle lasts over a year.

There is acomercial internal bc wash available as well. I have heard that baking soda and water will pretty much neutralize everything, but never tried it.

Some people use a diluted dishwashing liquid for defog. If you put too much in, it can sting the eyes. I prefer "sea drops" which seems to be one of the better comercial de-fogs available. a litle goes a long way. a $2 bottle lasts about 60 dives.

definitely back the commercial wet suit shampoo comments... but I've yet to find a defogger better, or more convenient, than spit.

I've been a fan of the dilluted dish detergent for a year now.. I empty my cooler of the misc items and ice, fill with water and a few drops of cheap dish detergent. Start with the small stuff, dip/slosh and wash off, end with the BC's and hang over night in the spare bathroom downstairs... which has become our dive locker :wink:

The cooler gets cleaned in a timely manner then to.. none of that week-old-what-is-that-with-fur surprise!

in a solution of water and fabric softener...

I tried the Sink the Stink product, it was expensive and the smell was worse than the funk I was trying to get rid of...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom