Lobos Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just stumbled on this information on Pt. Lobos dive sites: Trail Map | Point Lobos Foundation
I have dived Whalers Middle Reef and Cannery Point Wall. Is there any way to access the others without a private boat?

I find Point Lobos Underwater Maps to be more useful for looking at Point Lobos sites.

There are many sites that are accessible via kicking: Hole in the Wall and Sea Mount jump right out as single tank kicking dives. If you are good then Lone Metridium is also available. Granite Point Wall is available depending on how far you are willing to surface kick though I did a very nice doubles dive there once.

With a scooter things open up even more but the outer sites can quickly become tech dives without a boat (due to depth and time when scootering from shore).

Mike summed it up pretty nicely.

Here's what you can expect further out:

[vimeo]21307712[/vimeo]

and

All the best, James

The Beach Hopper does the outer sites a Pt. Lobos occasionally.
Check their calendar. You put you gear on the boat in Monterey,
and then drive to Lobos.

The site that the trail map lists as "Bluefish Outer Pinnacle" is more
commonly known as "The Great Pinnacle"

Roughly speaking, the 100' contour running through 3 Sisters, Beto's, and Granite Point Pinnacles represents the practical outer limit of our kick dives. (And those are pretty long dives, so you need to think hard about gas and NDLs if you're going all the way. (But that said, folks have kicked farther!))

As a rule of thumb, everything inside that contour is kickable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom