Vandenberg Sat-dishes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trtldvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just learned via FB that the city of Key West will be holding a public meeting, Fri May 6, at 1:00 pm, at the NOAA's Eco discovery center to discuss the removal of the satalite dishes from the Vandenberg. I am no longer in KW and I have not seen the E-mail (yet, I have asked for it to be forwarded to me), but this is what I do know.

I was on the original clearance dive, and the dishes had broken off of their mounts during the sinking. They wer sitting rather percariously on the deck. They were secured with steel cable to make them safe.

So I am guessing that it is now a safety issue as the dishes and or cable deteriorate. If one (especially the big one) would break lose it could be quite dangerous as they are very heavy.

If I get specifics on the meeting or plan I will pass it along.

Safe dives
trtldvr

I dont understand how it is dangerous. I have been on this wreck they are secured like you wrote by cable. The dishes were one of my favorite parts.

.....to discuss the removal of the satalite dishes from the Vandenberg. ........ They were secured with steel cable to make them safe.

That's the most famous part of the dive, I hope they don't remove them.

In June of 2009 I took some photos of the snapped (and some still attached cables) and it didn't look dangerous. If dive safety was that important then they shouldn't have cut giant holes to allow easy penetration to the hallways and lower decks.

'See the Fish,Save the Dish!!"

'See the Fish, Save the Dish!!"

IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

The safety is not for divers, it is for the reef. The city of Key West put up a large bond so that if the ship ever destroyed the reef (like in a hurricane) than there would be funds for restoration. We've dodged the hurricane bullet for 2 years now, but we won't dodge it forever. The dishes are relatively light, with a large area. I think (as does the sanctuary manager) that the dishes would be the first to fly in a hurricane. Here is the text of the e-mail:

Dive Operators,

I am the City of Key West Port and Transit Director and have inherited the city's responsibility for the VANDENBERG among my other duties. I found your business e-mails at a website listing dive operators who dive on the wreck. If you aren't in that field please disregard this.

An issue has come up the antenna dishes on the VANDENBERG that I would like to discuss with the local dive industry. It involves how they were attached to the ship with cables after they collapsed during the sinking and the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary's concerns that they could break free in a hurricane and potentially cause damage to the coral reef. The City is liable for any such damage, which is why I would like to get the opinions of those most familiar with the site before making a decision on what action to take.

The FKNMS was kind enough to offer use of a meeting room at the Eco Discovery Center at Truman Annex for a meeting. If you or someone from your business would like to participate in the discussion we will be meeting at the Discovery Center next Friday, May 6th, at 1:00 p.m. If you know of anyone else who dives the site or would like to join in the discussion please invite them. I'll be following this e-mail with a phone call tomorrow. I would appreciate an RSVP so I can tell the center how many to plan for. If you can't make it, but have some thoughts please drop me an e-mail or call.

Respectfully,

Jim

Jim Fitton
Port and Transit Director
City of Key West

I'm really bummed that I won't be there, because I'd be willing to donate boat time, divers, and supplies to maintain the dishes on the wreck. Maybe a decision can be made to keep the dishes.

I can understand concern for the reefs. But the city was probably all to happy to get the Vandenberg and did not have any complaints back then to extra tourism dollars. I thought when I was there they were tied down, but I was wrong. Why don't they just re secure them and we are all happy.

Wookie, thanks for chiming in.

Darn, without the dishes, the Vandy is just another big ol' wreck. I LOVED LOVED LOVED diving the dishes. I do hope they decide to secure them in a better fashion rather than removing them.

I was the diver that secured the dishes after it sunk. And I used all the cable that they had and used chain to secure them. If a big storm was to hit I think that the parts the are secure will stay. But they are big and light. So they may come part but it would not be to bad. I hope they don't take them off. This is just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I really hope they keep the dishes. Seeing those were a highlight of my dives on the wreck.

I was the diver that secured the dishes after it sunk. And I used all the cable that they had and used chain to secure them.

I'm curious about how they came off. Did something shear? Did they twist as they came off?

The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering how hard it would be to put them back.

I hope they don't take them off. This is just my 2 cents

I wonder what would happen if dozens of people showed up and told them just that?

I think they are hoping that there is no resistance and they can just do whatever they want. But this is a (City of Key West) election year and if people speak up, the politicians do listen.

--

Bud

Bud they were welded and secured with cables. But the water pressure was to much for both and they came off. My 2 cents is that they are more secure where they are now. Then where they were because they have the ship to block same of the tide. If they were up on top they would get it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom