Anyone dive off Far Rockaway in Queens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There was an article in the NY Times today about diving there and about how some developers might buy the land but people might still be able to get in to dive. Have people here gone there? I was wondering if it might be a viable alternative to going all the way to Dutch Springs all the time.

we do students dives there every weekend - not a viable alternative anymore - beach 9th closed yesterday

Beach 9th Street didn't close. Almost Paradise closed. You can still dive, you just can't access the water from Almost Paradise any longer.

People can still park in the street, gear up, and get in the water.

I will probably check this place out next summer, unless the developers decide to ban divers completely from it.

Hey ! Everybody in that neck of the woods. I read that article too in yesterdays paper. Gotta keep diving it ! Protest, sit in, whatever it takes, keep going. Good divin, George. I might be driving up there next weekend for a driving trip since I am off next week. See ya ! Good divin, George

I read the article Sunday in the Chicago Tribune Real Estate section.
A man who has been diving there f/ 40 years said he's avoided paying $17.00 to Almost Paradise by walking onto the property along the water line. He plans to continue diving there no matter what becomes of the property. So even though it's a shame that Almost Paradise has closed, it sounds like with any luck, you still may be able to dive there between Beach 8th Street & Beach 9th Street.

I gotta check it out. Especially before it totally changes. Road Trip ! Good Divin, George

I'm headed there tomorrow with my girlfriend to dive there for the first time. They're closing on October 15. The developers finally got the best of them. Money talks I guess. I'll let you know how it is and any other info on the future of this NY landmark.

Andre'

Yo Buddha. I'm jealous. Are you guys driving there ? Let me know how it is. Take pictures too. Too bad I can't get away just yet or I would be on my way too. Have fun, be safe. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Are you guys Buddihist too ? Good Divin, George:thumb:

Of course your driving, you're from New York, silly me....Duh !:stupid: Good Divin, George

Back
Top Bottom