BC snug fit or lift capacity, which is more important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janosik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is choosing between S and XS. She is 5 feet 4 inches tall, which falls in the range of either. By weight, she should choose XS, she is very thin and only 105 lbs, and her waist is 26, below the lower limit on both sizes. But the XS has only 26 lbs lift capacity, and she is a sinker. Should she go for the S for the extra buoyancy at the surface? Or will the looser fit lead to problems like bad stability a depth? Please advise.

Actually, let me correct this. XS has only 23 lbs lift. And, it does not have any space behind for non-releasable weights, so it will be harder to trim. S has 28 lbs lift and can accommodate 6 lbs weights at the back. But by the size chart, S is for women at least 120 lbs weight and 30 inch waist. Seems quite a bit over her size in this respect...

Actually both are important.

Perfect fit and appropriate lift for varied conditions is available through luck or buying a BP/W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are diving recreational in moderate to warm water that much lift is more that enough. (both of them). So I would say pick the one that fits best.

You are probably right, but she would not go for anything other than hybrid jacket and back-inflate style, BP/W is too hard core. I am grateful that she is even willing to scuba dive with me. Do you think 23 lbs lift may be too little for someone who weighs only 105 lbs? She will probably be using mostly a 5mm wetsuit.

An Al 80 is -1.6 or -1.7 pounds, regs (octo) will be about -3. That's -4.7 pounds. 5mm suit, un-weighted, should make her float like a cork. If she weights properly for the type of exposure protection she uses, lift shouldn't be a problem. I'd go with a good fit for improved comfort, trim and all around more fun.

Well, assume you have 23 pounds of lift and a 5 mil wetsuit, and an aluminum tank. (I'm assuming, by the 5 mil wetsuit, that she isn't diving very cold water or using steel tanks?)

She's going to have to carry lead to sink the suit AND the tank, and possibly up to 3 lbs to sink the BC as well. I think I carried about 10 or 12 pounds total (with backplate) with a 5 mil suit and vest. If you have 12 pounds in pockets (and a positive tank) on a 23 lb lift BC, it should float.

If you have 12 lbs in the BC, then about the most negative you could be (assuming your wetsuit evaporated) is 12 plus 5 (for a full tank) which is 17.

And you remember that the weight in the BC is ditchable at the surface, so you have an easy way to get well positive.

All these numbers change, and not in a good way, in cold water with steel tanks.

I can't answer your question but remember that BC buoyancy is used to compensate for changes in buoyancy during the dive from wetsuit compression and loss of weight of air consumed.

The wing should have an extra 4 lbs of buoyancy to make for margin of error in weighting. Also a larger wing can make surface swimming in heavy seas more comfortable.

Also, as TS&M stated, the Scuba unit when removed must be positively buoyant.

The fact that she's a sinker just means she needs to carry less weight, a good thing. But should not affect the size of the wing.

Also since she is small, the changes in wetsuit compression are going to be smaller, requiring less wing buoyancy.

Adam

Just my opinion . . .

Given that most BC's have a significant latitude in adjustment I find it difficult to imagine that a diver could not find a BC which will provide proper fit . . . therefore the only thing that is left is lift capacity.

Besides, if your BC cannot support your rig at the surface when fully laden, then it's about as useless as teats on a boar hog.

the K

Back
Top Bottom