Seahawk vs Black Diamond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marksman_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
HI,

I just got my OW and made my first 10 dives. I decided that my first BCD will be back inflation BC. Now I stopped on two options:
1. Scubapro Seahawk
2. Seaquest Black Diamond

I have read previous threads on this regard and find out that in some cases BD has such problems:
- weak top dump valve (but it was modified in 2010)
- bulky and too heavy for travelling
- traps air (need to be in fully vertical position to let the air out)

on Seahawk I can't find any complains, sure it is relatively new product compared to BD.

I know that it is better to try both and I will do so. But need you guys to get your experience of using those things and add it to the whole picture!
Thanks in advance!

As a Black Diamond owner, I can offer the following information:

1) The unit is a little heavy for travel but not that bad.
2) I already had a warranty issue with the weight pockets and had to have them replaced due to a broken handle.
3) The rest of the BD is pretty damn rugged.
4) The D rings are larger so you need larger clips to attach stuff. The cheap plastic clips that come with some accessories are too small to fit on it.
5) I love the back inflation and the strap system to hold the tank is rather solid. I use a steel 120 and sometimes put on a 30 pony with no slippage.
6) It is very adjustable and you can move the sides out and in with the screws that go to the back plate.
7) It can be easily fitted for doubles if that is your thing.
8) Pockets are functional and easily used. The left side pocket fold up and you can fit a lot in it if you unfold it.
9) There are plenty of D rings so you can make lots of attachments up front, on the sides and the back too.
10) I am an AirSource 3 fan and it is ready to go for that option to eliminate a separate octo.
11) Very secure with a wide wrap around belly velcro strap, an adjustable belt below that with quick release and a thinner quick release strap at the chest. This is a very solid piece of equipment that is used by one of the local dive rescue units.
12) There are weight pockets behind the shoulders that can fit 5# on each side and it has 16# weight pockets that are removable but I really can't see anyone ever needing that much weight on each side.

Other than the plastic handle issue on the weight pocket which appeared to be a plastic molding defect during manufacturing, I have no gripes. My buoyancy is completely controlled with my drysuit and I have used the BD very little in the past for buoyancy control. The few times that I used it for buoyancy control I was happy.

I also have a Black Diamond and love it
as for you comment about it trapping air i have no problems with it trapping air. It is also nice to have dumps on the bottom on both sides

Can't comment on the Seahawk but as a new diver I love the Black Diamond. Plenty of D-rings and large enough pockets, good weight distrubution and highly adaptable that it'll cover most needs for the rec or serious diver. The little pocket at the front is ideal for storing car keys or cash while you dive (it's not waterproof, but in Australia we use plastic money :))

No problems with air moving from one part of the wing to another. Dump valves are all easily and conviniently located.

Once properly weighted, boyancy is not problem at all. I dive with a 6mm wetsuit and I use ver little air to control my boyancy. I can essentially glide through the water. It is a little heavier than some other BCs but still okay for travel.

I actually prefer the Seahawk. I thought it felt "softer" when wearing it (relevant for me since I usually dive in the tropics). The stability is unbelievable and as a back inflated BC, it's great for photography.
Only downside are the pockets. One is expandable , ie, you unzip it and it hangs down. But the other one is large enough for a small flash light.

I choose the newly re-designed SCUBAPRO Seahawk over Knighthawk and Black Diamond. The reasons were: (1) Pockets-two generous size pockets, donut shape wing, and Scubapro's "Super cinch" tank strap.

Congrats, let us know how it works out for you with a review after you get a few dives on it.

Thank you all for your insights!
At the end of May we have Scubapro days in Lithuania and then I will have chance to compare Seahawk with BD and let you know how it were.
Thanks once again!
If anyone will have additional thoughts please shoot it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom