brief report: butterfly house 5/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Arrived at noon. Excellent weather topside, clear sunny, warm, very little wind.

There was a definite swell rolling at the site but the entry was protected and easy. Thick kelp that you can dive under or crawl over. I opted to crawl over to spend more time at the outer reef and was inspired by another diver who I watched do it just before me. It looked easy enough from my perspective of sitting on the beach in the warm sunshine watching him. Actually doing it not so easy. Got a technique going however and got thru it soon enough. Dropped in a sandy area between near and far reefs, about 35fsw with vis of 20-25ft. Hit outer reef very soon with depths of 40-50fsw, improved vis to 35ft, large vertical faces and narrow sand channels between rocks. This topography was very appealing. Closer look at rock faces revealed nice assortment of creatures and life, more than I have time to try to list. Encountered and swam thru school of blue rockfish and admired some patches of hydrocoral. Going farther out terrrain got lower and more bouldery with flatter slabs of rock and depths reaching 80-90fsw and cold, approx 48F. Not as interesting here and turned the dive.

Came up right where I expected to which was a first for this site (I always seem to end up off course here previously). Kept a nice air reserve and was able to take a heading and swim under the thick kelp back to the beach where I reflaxed and warmed up admiring the view with my family.

wonderful way to spend the day...
-Ken L

Back
Top Bottom