Kayaking in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norbs007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was asked by a coworker where in Monterey is best to go kayaking. I would say that they are mid to late 50s and haven't tried ocean kayaking. Any information like shops and enrty spots will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Elkhorn Slough would be my suggestion, it's not far from Monterey and while it's tidal it's not open water so it would be good for folks who don't have a lot of ocean kayak experience. There is great critter watching at Elkhorn, especially sea otters. The trick is to go in with the tide, eat lunch on the far side, then go back out on the tide. Monterey Bay Kayaks has a store there, and so does Kayak Connection.

Kayak Connection

I have done Elkhorn Slough, Monterey Bay, Carmel Bay from Monastery, and out of Lobos many times. Monterey Bay along the water front is always a good spot to visit, and chances are you will see an otter or four. The kelp forest is fun to explore along. We did see otters at Elkhorn though by the marina. They required a guide on Elkhorn, at least the company we used, prior to owning kayaks. The part that really sucked was we had to go at the pace of the slowest in the group. We were interested in covering ground and they didn't want to paddle. Grrr...

Lobos is my favorite kayaking spot around Monterey and would be my top choice for someone with experience that owns their own kayaks. Then again I like to get away from people and the cities when trying to enjoy nature.

Elkhorn Slough has 30+ sea otters. Can be a challege for beginners when the tide is going out near the bridge.

I suggest MB when calm or less than 3ft swells. While MB Kayaks has top quality rentals, it is a good paddle to get anywhere from their shop especially for beginners. Adventures by the Sea has OK rentals and has them available Cannery Row and Lover's Point which can be more convienient. They also have a website.

http://www.adventuresbythesea.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom